HybridZ

Easy alternator output boost?

Nigel

I'm sorry if this has come up before, but the search feature isn't working.

I have a 240Z Turbo with an SDS EM3-6F system. In preparation for my future intercooler install, I decided to switch to an electric rad fan so I'd have room in front of the engine for intercooler piping. I ordered the highest output 16" electric fan I could find, a 2500 CFM unit from Flex-a-lite. And then I started wondering if my alternator is going to be able to handle the additional 17 amp load when the fan is on. I have a new 60A 280ZX alternator that I installed just last year. It's kind of hard to figure out exactly what the maximum electrical load is going to be since not everything is going to be running at it's peak current draw all the time.

Does anybody have a similar setup? Any Problems? Short of replacing the alternator, is there an inexpensive way to boost the output? Rewinding? Smaller pulley? I've already replaced much of the factory wiring harness with much heavier gauge wire to minimize loss.

I hope I didn't just solve one problem only to create another!

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I'm running a stock 60amp alt. in my 280zxt as well. I'm running a laptop hooked to a wideband O2 along side of my sds Em4-6f with a 2800cfm electric fan and haven't noticed any charging problems w/ my setup. I've got the usual other items that will suck up current as well as headlights, stereo, extra gauges, upgraded fuel pump, and so on. My alt. has always kept up, but I'm sure it's on the limit or exceeding it, and I'm running all stock wiring. I don't see you having any problems, but a lot of alt. shops out there can upgrade/modify your Alt rather inexpensively. I don't know how they do it tho.

Hey Spork, thanks for the reply! I'm glad to hear you're not having any problems. The funny thing is that I think I've changed my mind as far as my intercooler configuration is concerned. So I may not even need an electric fan now. But, it's going in anyway.

Thanks again!

Nigel