HybridZ

Accel DFI Gen 6 might be put on the Blue Z.. some questions

Guest ON3GO

Ok i found a deal, well i think and i might go for it.

does anybody have any advice on this system?

i already spoke to chris on here (well on the phone :D ) and helped me out alot on it but im just looking to see what others say.

1st off i dont have much to spend and i found this system WITH a laptop for only 350 bucks... so thats why im considering it.

it will be put on my fresh 0 mile L28ET with ported and worked head (stock cam) and still stock T3 turbo, but boost will be sorta high).

heres what i was told about this kit.. and also ill be buying it off a guy that was using it on his 4cyl DSM.

it uses a GM 3-bar map (which is going with the unit im buying) the unit is the 015013, which is batch fire (the Gen 6 cannot do sequential injection as it has no proivisions for a cam angle sensor. No real benefit anyway (true?).

The unit currently has a piggyback harness configured for a 4-cylinder, distributorless wasted-spark application. As the Gen 6 cannot do distributorless ignition, there are no provisions in this harness for it. it comes with the complete EMIC training manual for this unit, which covers all pinouts, functions, and installation. Im sure ill have to add wiring to the harness for the distributor and wire in the third bank for the two additional injectors (hard?).

also the owner of the unit told me this:

All you'll need is a set of low-impedance (peak&hold) injectors, a Wells SU108 GM-style coolant temp, and a Wells SU109 GM-style air temp. Both the coolant and air temp sensors can be had at AutoZone for about $10 each. They require a 3/8 - 18 NPT threaded hole. The harness currently doesn't have the air temp pigtail, but one is included in the box and it is a trivial, 2-wire addition. I never got the chance to add it before i took the car down in February. I believe you'll also need to lock your distributor if you decide to use the timing control features.

so am i being told the truth on this unit? ive been reading up on it but most parts im getting confused abit on it. from my readings its not the best unit but it HAS to be better then my 77 stock 280Z ecu then im running now with the L28ET.. right?

also would i have to change my distributor? would i need to add a MSD ignition? I have a MSD 6-BTM already with MSD blaster 2 coil but there not installed yet.

would i need ANYTHING at all to make this car run?

i just want to get everything i need now so it doesnt take along time for the install.

any help would be great, :)

mike

That's about right, it can fire coil packs with a factory reprogram for buick waste spark. I am not sure if they still work on old units. The unit can also use wideband O2 with factory reprogram. Actually a fairly versatile unit, lacking a few features less than the TecII. The datalogging is something to be desired and a little slow, but can be useful.

Lock the distributor out, and hook the manetic pickups to an 88 chev truck igntion control module. Personally I would go 2 bar map sensor and add more fuel up top to 17psi. The dfi doesn't have great resolution down low. It should give you all the power you need and have decent drivability if you know how to use it. It's what I bought for $300, it's a bargain considering the options.