Guest firebern

Guest firebern

Hi everybody,

I am actively looking for a EFI V8

engine for my conversion. I found

somebody who was selling a Vortec CPI

for a 305 for 350$.

I have two questions for someone who would know more:

1) Can I buy any 305 V8 and screw this on?

2) Is it more fuel efficint then TPI?

Thanks,

Bern.

Guest Anonymous

Having driven my Z w/ a 305 in it for a while now, I highly recommend starting w/ a 350 block. I got the drivetrain really cheap, and it runs great, but it was never meant to make real horsepower.

Just my two cents.

------------------

'71 240

'91 TBI 305,700R4 w/ shift kit

Guest firebern

Yes you are rigth,

most people are telling me to go with a ford 302 but i guess this is going to turn out the same way. I know somebody who has a cora jet 351, I'll got take its measurements this weekend and if it fits that is what Im getting. As a kid I always loved the Cobra and mach 1, so I'll be closer to those.

And it's fun to have something different. I hope I'll be able to see other Z hybrids.

Cheers,

Bernard.

Ummm Cobra jet - woould that be a Cleveland motor? If so I'd shy away. Those motors do not have the large amounts of parts avaialble to them that the Windsor blocks do. Headers might be a pain and what trans will you run? An auto? Windsor Ford motors are damn near falling out of trees - 302s and 351s both! Grab a wrecked Ford Mustang 5.0 and just grab the motor and trans from it - EFI comes along for the ride too :-)

Just a thought...

Guest Anonymous

Firebern,

Jim is right regarding the Cleveland, if it is in fact a Cleveland, parts tend to be more difficult to find and more expensive. But, if you were to build a Cleveland they can make some BIG horsepower numbers as a result of the free flowing, canted valve cylinder heads. One of the problems with the Cleveland is they tend not to do well as street engines due to large ports and valves, same problem the Boss 302 experienced, which is one of the reasons Ford decreased the intake valve diameter in the Boss heads in 1970. One of the advantages of a Cleveland, however, is that they are very strong engines, decent rods and most 4V models had 4 bolt mains.

If you wanted to use the Cleveland short block you could always swap on a set of aftermarket aluminum Windsor heads. You just have to modify some of the coolant passages, I believe Ford Motorsport makes an intake for the swap. Or, you could look for a set of Australian 2V Cleveland heads that have smaller ports, smaller valves and closed combustion chambers for better quench.

I can't remember who, but someone on the web has an early Z with a 351 Cleveland.

Sorry, I know this is the Chevy board but I could not resist discussing Fords... wink.gif

Chris