HybridZ

84-86 Z31 turbo transmission to a S130 turbo?

EZ-E

Would this work, from all the sites that I have visited so far, the 84-86 Z31 trubo clutch is the same part number as the S130 turbo clutch, same tooth count as well.

What I was wondering is, would the Z31 turbo transmission bolt up to the S130 bell housing and then into the motor?

I have been looking at the gear ratios and the seem a lot better for the Z31 then the borg T5 unit i currently have in my car. better first and second gears.

Anyone ever try? or do this?

You should be able to do this swap. If you take the bellhousing off your S130 T5 and bolt that to the Z31 T5 then you can mate the tranny and engine. I'm doing this swap (Z31 T5 to my 240Z L6) and have got hold of a bellhousing from a 280ZX Turbo. Can't help you much on the clutch front I'm afraid. I was thinking about just grabbing the clutch from the Z31 and seeing if it will mount to my L6 flywheel.

Good luck with it, keep us posted!

Cheers,

Rob

You should be able to do this swap. If you take the bellhousing off your S130 T5 and bolt that to the Z31 T5 then you can mate the tranny and engine. I'm doing this swap (Z31 T5 to my 240Z L6) and have got hold of a bellhousing from a 280ZX Turbo. Can't help you much on the clutch front I'm afraid. I was thinking about just grabbing the clutch from the Z31 and seeing if it will mount to my L6 flywheel.

Good luck with it' date=' keep us posted!

Cheers,

Rob[/quote']

Yes I'm sure going from a T5 to a T5 is no problems at all but I think he wanted to lose the T5 in favor of a nissan style tranny. As he said in the first post..

"I have been looking at the gear ratios and they seem a lot better for the Z31 then the borg T5 unit i currently have in my car. better first and second gears."

Clutch will be no problem on the T5, they all use the same spline pattern if they came in a Nissan. Z31 clutches sometimes don't work because the clutch hub hits the top of the L-series flywheel bolts. The L-series hub is offset to clear while the Z31 units are sometimes center-hung on the friction disc. Mustang will likely have a different input shaft pattern. You may want to check the length of the input shaft, I think that the Z31 has a different length of shaft than the S130. As for the power handling, There will be no difference between the S130 and Z31 unit in that respect. Both are plain-Jane T5's, not the world's most reliable tranny. There is the WC upgrade, currently being installed by a couple members.

Doug