HybridZ

Cam/stroke and bore/supercharger

Guest Navy280Z

Guest Navy280Z

Okay, so say I wanna run a supercharger (yes, I know everyone on this site wants to go turbo, but let's just stick with supercharger for this thread). I've got to have what kind of compression ratio?

I've got an N47 head that will crack the first time it comes under any stress, so I've got to swtich that out. Do I go with N42? P90? E31?

Also, is it still feasible to run a sc with a 3.1L engine with a performance cam? I searched through literally 20 pages of threads today with the "search" function to find out all this, and still came up empty handed.

I'd love to see a discusison on this topic. Thanks!

Guest tejas74260

you must be lookin for some big numbers here:twisted:.

youre compression ration will depend on:

boost level

octane

tuning

lots of other variables

since the SC is also a form of forced induction (i dont know if youre using a roots or a centrifugal blower) then you will need around the same compression you would with a turbo.

in my opinion, when it comes to roots vs. centrifugal, if youre planning on a stroker motor with forced induction, i think a centrifugal blower would be sweet (not sure how you'd apply it to a L series motor though, but theres a first time for everything) becuase it is more efficient at the higher RPMs as a roots blower can't perform as well that much. on the low end, the roots takes the cake, but since you plan on using a stroker motor, the low end torque is already there, and in these small cars, there's not that much torque needed.

i guess you might just be doing this as a thought, but outta curiousity, what's your opposition to turbo? hope i helped some

Mark

Doesn't matter if you go turbo or SC, forced induction effects the engine the same. Do some research on turbo engines and go from there. A turbo L28 would be ideal (F54 block with a P90 head) Or if you want a little higher compression then go with the n/a F54 with flattop pistons. Of course you could use any engine but I think it is generally agreed that the P90/F54 are the best engine for forced induction. I also imagine that a turbo cam would work well as a wild n/a cam with alot of intake/exhaust valve overlap would just push air out the exhaust.