HybridZ

first step at MSnS-Extra upgrade completed

mobythevan

I got MSnS-Extra code installed on my setup. Everything seems to be working right except the fuel pump prime when the key is turned on. I installed version 021p to start with.

I recompiled the code so it had my inc files to use the nissan temp sensor. I used the download batch file which lets you download new code without having to ground the bootloader pin.

I installed and used MegaTune225b331. Followed the instructions in the help.txt file that comes with the 021p code download. They tell you how to change the setting.ini file in megatune for extra code. They also tell you how to copy the msns-extra.ini file into megatune. Then you have all features available in one megatune.

I had to re-enter all of my settings manually, I didn't even try to reload the msq file after reading that it probably wouldn't work. Expanded my fuel and ignition tables to 12x12. Checked all possible settings in megatune to make sure they were turned off or defaults.

also had to recalibrate tps since I lost the throttle inc file

The car fired right up, re-checked ignition timing--OK

Checked that 4 pin HEI does not get hot--OK

Took it for a drive and it runs just like before

Now I can start to play with the new features. In order to have the unit control my cooling fan relay I have to install a small transistor circuit to drive the relay.

I am going to upgrade the code now to 021u and to megatune225b358. I already loaded the msq file over from 021p to 021u and that worked so I don't have to re-enter everything a second time. This should fix the fuel pump prime issue.

I'll let you know when that is done. For the average person there is prbably no reason to upgrade, but I want that cooling fan relay control, maybe boost control, knock detection, AFR target tables, dwell control for other ignition modules, shift lights,......

Way to go Moby!

i know this is probably pretty straight forward but i'm not very computer friendly...i know, why do i have a megasquirt then?

I would like to first play with it a bit on my PC as it's a pain in the ass to get to my megaquirt ( i have to transfer files to a zip drive then onto an old laptop then plug that into the car).

-I've downloaded the "Extra021p.zip" file as well as the "mt225b331_setup.exe" file. It installed the new megatune program and opens as Megatune 2.25beta. (it's not the new extra version and i can't find the MSQ directory that contains examples like the "readme" says.

-i didn't download the "msns-extra-enh-021p.s19" because it needs to be installed on the megasquirt board (which i'm not presently plugged into)

-i did download the "msns-extra.ini" and placed it in the folder they say (which already had the same named folder and replaced it)

Computer tech help is a pain to ask for but i'm getting crosseyed reading those damn "readme" pages!

Concerning the bootloader pin I found out that if you have original megasquirt code you still have to use the bootloader pin to program. But, if you have updated to MSnS, MSnS_EDIS, or MSnS_Extra then you no longer have to use the bootloader pin. Just use the download.bat file (some download.bat files don't work right, get the one from 021u code, it prompts you correctly based on your current setup). This is the only thing about messing with experimental code like this. You get little glithces like the download.bat file still being updated, etc. I'll be putting the 021u code and MT225b358 this weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

This is the only thing about messing with experimental code like this.

I know what you mean. I'm still using the 020i code. I haven't noticed any problems with it.

I'm afraid to find out what's been added/fixed in the 021 code, I might be tempted to try it.

If it ain't broke...

Don

My transistors came in today so I am going to add the circuit to control my cooling fan relay this weekend also. I have been wanting to get rid of that goofy summit fan controller with the thermostat going into the upper radiator hose. I hate that copper tube coming out of there.

8239msns_transistor_circuit.jpg

Got MSnS-Extra021u code installed. This fixed the fuel pump prime issue. I was able to load my msq file over from 021p so I didn't have to re-enter anything. I did re-calibrate TPS again. Installed the transistor circuit and the cooling fan control works as advertised.

The only thing left to do is conect my wideband output to the megasuirt box so I can use the target AFR tables and log AFR values for use in visual log viewer.

I'll get to that sometime.