HybridZ

remember my smoking problem .....

Guest MaXbOOst

Guest MaXbOOst

well , the rear of the turbo is clean , really black , but clean and not oily ,

then i took a glance into the exhaust manifold, and a lil pool of oil was inside.

BINGO

ive put over $800 of parts into this car and come to find out

i had a bad motor all this time .....

trust noone i guess eh ? i trusted this guy too , he has been in my club a long time.....

there goes 8 months of work and $800 + $300 for the motor......

and all the parts i just bought for the 5speed conversion...

i think shes going on ebay

since i have the ZXT wiring and ecu , could i run a n/a motor off the turbo electronics ? ? if i could then i would just throw my turbo goodies on there , and be fine...... cause i could get a n/a motor cheap, with a guarntee.....

Guest bastaad525

Been there done that.

This is exactly what happened with mine... the seller of the donor car claimed the engine was recently rebuilt, but the engine told a different story all it's own once I got it in my 240. First the head went kaput, then the oil rings gave out and I had all kinds of smoke, then the thrust bearing went bad on the crank. Not fun... but I guess, given the joy the car has brought me, I guess I'd say it's worth it in the end. And at least I have some real idea of the condition of the motor having rebuilt it myself (well with help) instead of wondering if some seller was BS'ing me.

But lord knows I've been very close to selling the whole thing on at least two occasions... to have been talked out of it by fellow Hybrid Zers and my wife (believe it or not!). But... it's still sitting there in my garage, only getting driven once or twice a month nowadays, pretty much problem free for a while, all major problems out of the way at least it would seem, and still manages to bring a smile to my face any time I floor the pedal. Would I go thru it all again? Hell no. But I'm in no huge rush to sell either.

Well... I can't really make the best case for not selling, so I'll stop there, others here are much better at the convincing than I am.

Yes you could get an N/A motor and run your turbo stuff on it, the one problem would be compression, as the N/A motors are all higher CR than the turbo ones. This is a good and bad thing, for obvious reasons, but can be worked around relatively easy and you'll end up with a more responsive car and more potential power for the effort. Just need a bit of extra fuel and maybe an MSD boost-timing-retard unit, and go easy on the boost until you have a good safe way to test how high you can push it.