HybridZ

a new hybrid.....

Guest MaXbOOst

Guest MaXbOOst

im gonna throw a n/a motor w/ dished pistons in my Z .....

and throw the turbo oil pan, oil pump , dizzy on the n/a plus my manifolds...

but , my car is wired up with turbo electronics......

so im wondering how its gonna run.... anyone tried this hybrid yet ?

Guest MaXbOOst

Beacuse there rare out here , the piston rings are bad on the turbo motor , i dont have the time to do a rebuild , i need the car running like now. ive been working on it 8 months , and at the end of it , come to find out a bastard sold me a bad motor , i just need the car drivable , and a friend of mine has a good n/a motor w/ dished pistons , that he said i could have so..... this is my solution

Guest bastaad525

Yes of course it will work. There isn't really any difference between the two motors that the stock turbo EFI would not be able to run it. It should fire right up and run fine, especially off boost. It should actually run better with the higher compression. At stock boost, the stock efi provides a LOT of fuel when boost comes on, enough to run like 9:1 a/f ratio, so I would think even with increased compression you wouldn't be at risk.

I would be looking at ignition timing first, since you don't have to upgrade anything to do that, and since the turbo motor takes a LOT of initial advance. I'd back it down some, though I personally couldn't even venture a guess as to how much advance would be safe or not. I know the stock N/A motors in a stock N/A setup likes about 10-12* BTDC. Once you start turning up the boost, just figure you will need extra fuel sooner (which is pretty much right away as after 9-10psi you're lean on the top end with stock everything) and you really should consider getting one of those MSD units that retards timing as boost comes on.

You're going to use the turbo head on that block right? if you use the complete N/A motor, you may need to relocate the head temp sensor and maybe a couple other things I forget. Nothing big or difficult to do. The whole thing should really be straightforward, and should fire right up.