HybridZ

Sr20-det

Guest 280ZXSR20-DET

Well, when I mean sluggish off the line, I mean like "normal" driving, without dropping the clutch from high rpm. In any case, did you guys reuse the Silva differential/axles, or did you need to convert to something else? Since I've got an NA 280ZX, I've got U-joints, which I hear are not as good as CV joints, so I need a good, simple alternative.

I am hard at work putting a SR20DET (S15 w/ six speed tranny) in my 1979 280ZX roadster. The engine will sit right down in the ZX cross member -- the engine mount bolts go right into the holes.

However, the engine sits a little high and a little to far forward to suit me.

Two choices -- redo the fames on the enghine motor mounts or diddle with the cross member. I am going to remake the engine mounts to adapt to the stock ZX crss member holes;

This problem does not occur on the earlier cars since the steering is AHEAD of the cross member

we have an sr20det in our 240z and it runs awesome. Ours is highly modified, has forged internals and built headwork. You will need custom motor and tranny mounts though also. Let me know what else you need to know. i have lots of info.

if the mounts you make woke for the sr then they should work for a ka correct?im just wondering because im thinking about putting a turbo ka24de into a 280z.

Well, when I mean sluggish off the line, I mean like "normal" driving, without dropping the clutch from high rpm.

Well, if this is a big problem for you... then you shouldn't be considering a small displacement turbo engine. The bigger the turbo, the more power.. but the more you have to rev it to make it go.

It's one of those things you will have figured out very quickly while driving it.

Certainly a larger displacement motor with more torque a few thousand RPM earlier is going to be more impressive for the first few feet... but that ain't gonna make the car "faster". It just makes it feel nice coming off the line easy.

Another thing to consider is the SR is running much smoother and more efficiently in that range... under the boost. You gas mileage may not be all that important to you if you don't daily drive your Z... but a well tuned turbo 2.0 liter uses a lot less fuel to get you down the street to work or whatever.

Sorry, not trying to get off on a tangent here. :-D

Well' date=' if this is a big problem for you... then you shouldn't be considering a small displacement turbo engine. The bigger the turbo, the more power.. but the more you have to rev it to make it go.

It's one of those things you will have figured out very quickly while driving it.

Certainly a larger displacement motor with more torque a few thousand RPM earlier is going to be more impressive for the first few feet... but that ain't gonna make the car "faster". It just makes it feel nice coming off the line easy.

Another thing to consider is the SR is running much smoother and more efficiently in that range... under the boost. You gas mileage may not be all that important to you if you don't daily drive your Z... but a well tuned turbo 2.0 liter uses a lot less fuel to get you down the street to work or whatever.

Sorry, not trying to get off on a tangent here. :-D[/quote']

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Gas efficiency often gets lost in the search for horsepower, but I consider it an equally important factor in choosing an engine. Man, I just wish I knew someone with an SR20 that I could test drive just to see how it is off the line, but most of my friends have RX7's, Scoobies, or Hondas.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Also Gear Ratios Make A Huge Difference In The Feeling Of Power..... You Have To Remember All Sr's Come In Cars With 4.08 - 4.11 Gears. I Put A 4.36 Ratio R33 Rear End In A 240 With A Sr20 And It Screamed Hit Boost Later And Consumed More Gas.... But If You Put That Sr Into A Z With 3.56 Gears You'll Build More Boost, Consume Less Gas Down Low And Actually Have Longer Gears.

Guest 81na ZX

Sorry' date=' not trying to get off on a tangent here. :-D[/quote']

How often your on boost makes a big difference in milage too.

my 2.0L 4g63 DSM got 400 miles out of a tank when I was breaking in the new motor. When I drive it "normally" I only get 225-250 out of a tank... that like 14 or 16 g

I'd imagine a SR20 would be very similar, with a ca18 getting slightly better milage.

It takes fuel to make horsepower. Any properly tuned engine thats not making much power will be efficient, for the most part.

When I put a T04S on my SR20DET, my gas mileage went up a lot during daily driving. However, I was making so much power while boosting that mileage there sucked real bad. :-D

Running a big turbo gives you a lot of cruising space in the lower RPM area. Keeping it down there keeps mileage up a lot.

Another thing is, having a big turbo means you don't want to spool it up in traffic... as you will go from slow to break-neck speeds very quickly, and be sitting in somebody's trunk if you're not careful.

I love the slingshot feel of a big turbo on a small motor. I used to be against lag like you wouldn't believe... then someone let me drive an RX7 witha huge turbo that didn't spool until like 5000rpm. He was just trying to make a point that lag doesn't bother him.

I drove it, and I about lost my mind when it spooled up. It was amazing. I couldn't believe a car could be so mild mannered and then pull a Jeckyl and Hyde switch like that! :-P

After driving his car, I immediately began work on a big turbo setup for my car. Now when I drive cars with little turbos and good response, I get bored.. I'm wondering "When is the power supposed to kick in?" but it never does.