HybridZ

Tunable ECU on relatively std L28E

kalium99

Just wondering if anyone has ever put an aftermarket ECU on a not too modified L28 and what the results were ?

Although Im sure it may not be the best bang for your buck option, at least its something that can be picked up and moved onto another engine (non L series) when the time comes for an upgrade

I was running my SDS system on my car last summer without the turbo, IE mostly stock. Compression is around 8.8:1. Header and exhaust, and a short intake with a cone filter got me into the 14's in the quarter. 14.8 @ 91mph incase anyone cares.

If you are thinking megasquirt, or another cheaper type system, I say go for it!

A few years ago I put an Autronic ( Fuel and Spark)on my l28 280zx.

I put on a larger 57mm throttle, K&N filter. Kept Mostly stock (igniter on the ignition)

From memory on the Dyno before and after percentage wise there was a reasonable increase in RWHP 28% ???? (Will check)

But the best was the improvement in Torque 35%????

It was pretty much across the rpm range. Will see If I can dig it out of my archives at home - I did this mod first for a few years and have only just added the turbo.

:-P:-P:-P

Some of those results sound impressive. I guess that the std ECU is tuned for economy predominantly, and they are only 8 bit at that. So it would make sense that an aftermarket option provide some benefit in terms of power.

EDIT: And yes I was thinking of Megasquirt or similar option :)

I put Megasquirt on my stock L28. I had all sorts of drivability issues with the car prior to the install. After installing MS and about 5 min of adjusting values it ran better then it ever had for me. And after tuning it I was very happy. I also was getting around 28mpg cruising with MS where as stock I was running 18-20 mpg. The best part was that the car idled and ran so smooth I couldn't believe it was the same car. It also felt like it had more power and pep.

I will say that my car's wiring and electronics were in very rough shape and that had a lot to do with my MS install. I also went with the GM HEI for ignition at the same time. I recomend MS as one of the best performance mods I have done to any car. I ran it for ~5Kmiles on MS before I tore the car apart for major modifications.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am also thinking about the megasquirt system. The 1983 280ZXT is stock except for a complete 3" mandrel bent system & a low restriction intake. The exhaust made a huge difference in how the care comes on the turbo; however, now I am looking for more hp. I have a large NPR intercooler, weber tb & a non egr manifold next on the install list. What would realistic hp numbers be @ 15lbs on the stock turbo with the aforementioned items? I am also beginning research on a cam, any recommendations?

Thanks

John