HybridZ

3.90 Swap or Rebuild - Help:)

sulla

Hi I have an early 260z that the previos owner put an 3.90 R200 in I am not sure what it came out off. Any way if I remember correctly he said he rebuilt it but did not shim it correctly so it whines terribly. Any way I have found several early 80s 280zx manual transmission Zs with 3.90s for about $75. Will that be a direct swap or should I try and figure out how to get the diff in the car fixed? He said he had been running it for years without being shimmed correctly so I think that could not be good for it. But I dont want to get a 3.90 out of a zx and then find out it will not work and I am out $75. Thanks very much in advance.

The CV's and U-joint half shafts plug right into your differential and the one you're thinking of getting. The only differential that won't work for you (more trouble than it's worth in my opinion) is the '88 SS viscous limited slip differential, which requires the correct half shafts for that particular differential.

If you're planning on switching to CV's you have to find out if you have a late model 260Z or an early model 260Z. The late model will have the stronger stub axles which have more splines and can support a little more power. But, these stub axles will need the adaptors from Modern-Motorsports.com to work correctly. See Ross's web site for more information.

If you have a early model 260Z, you have the weaker stub axles. But, the CV's will bolt right to them, no adaptor required.

!M!