HybridZ

Wheel bearings and Z31 hubs

Hey guys Im going to be using the Z31 hubs on my 280z, with Z32 rotors and calipers. I know alot of guys have used the Z31 hubs, and that they bolt on, but what wheel bearings did you use. I read something about using the 280z bearings but some other dust seal, if so which one. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Bearing P/Ns are the same from 70 to at least 87. I used the Z31 axle seals, they took a little gentle persuasion to get them installed. The diameter of the sealing surface seems to be a little larger dia. on the early struts. No problems or leakage, I've been running them for 3 years now. You may want to look at the newer Z31 hubs, 87 to 89, as they were designed to take a slip-on rotor like the Z32 uses instead of the earlier bolt on rotor. Not sure how much they change the off-set.

Doug

Hub type doesn't matter for a slip on rotor, but with either style you're going to have a rotor quite outboard on your spindle/and the Z32 caliper outer face carried out with it.

Mike, you're aware of the prior efforts others went through to run Z32 brakes?? (at least one I recall commented in hindsight they wouldn't do that route again)

FWIW, we've got aluminum Z31 hubs for your Z that carry the rear right back to fully cover the spindle where the OEM Z31 hubs expose that portion of the spindle near the rear dust seal that your OEM 4lug hub normally covers. Just an option.

We can also do custom hubs to your desired offset/flange etc if it turns out your optimal rotor/caliper location doesn't match with the OEM Z31 cast hubs. Our custom hubs turn around reasonably quick, we've got some underway in a machining run right now and can add more in prior to end of next week at reasonable cost.

Cheers,

Thanks alot for the inisght guys. Ross I will probably end up getting the rear 5 lug stub axles from you if I go through with my plans. Im planning on the later model Z31 hubs, 87-89, with the Z32 rotor and caliper. The only problem I can forsee is the offset and making new caliper mounts. As for the rear, Im not really sure what the best route would be? Any suggestions?

Reason for the Z32 stuff is I have a whole Z32 parts car that is stripped of the motor trans etc, and I would like to put the brakes to good use.

Thanks,

John