HybridZ

280ZX Headers other then sanderson

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I did a search on here and found info on sanderson headers but is there any other headers that will work? I would like to start out with a cheap pair atfirst so I can put my money else where

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/pagesbypartnum/cc10.htm

also is there any such thing as a quiet muffler that does not cut down on HP? I want my car to be VERY LOUD or no sound at all I don't want a half and half=)

Thanks

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff 280ZXT (edited December 10, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Hey Jeff, I've done a little research on 280zx headers. I've been looking for some that really hug the block, because I only have 2.5" between the block and the steering box (I have a 1980 model). These I found, but they're a tad expensive.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/lists.htm

go to product search and try SDH-QP1000

Those really hug the block. I'm looking to just find some "long" type exhaust manifolds for the time being, because they're cheap and I think that they will fit, though I'm not 100% sure. I'm looking to pick one up in a few days, I'll let you know how they work. My only question is how much HP are the long type manifolds capable of holding?

~Brian

Guest Anonymous

Im guessing the manifolds can hold how ever much HP your engine puts out but it will cut back on it

600BHP engine with headers 580 with manifolds

thats just a guess Im 17 what do I know lol

Jeff

Guest Anonymous

Hey Jeff,

The part number works, just make sure that you don't copy and past the blank space after it. It took me a time or two to realize that their search is picky.

~Brian

quote:

Originally posted by Head:

Hey Jeff, I've done a little research on 280zx headers. I've been looking for some that really hug the block, because I only have 2.5" between the block and the steering box (I have a 1980 model). These I found, but they're a tad expensive.

~Brian

Can you fit header pipes (4 tubes) in 2.5" allowing for engine movement/install/removal etc? Can you drop them down closer to your firewall down in front of your oil filter etc?

I've compromised on exhaust a couple times now and wasted a LOT of money FWIW, hope others have better luck.

Guest Anonymous

price is just as bad =`( I wish I could go to a shop that has TONS of headers so I can just try them on kinda like jeans if they don't fit toss them in the return box =)

I guess I could still do that it would just take alot of money up front and pains of return shiping

will any header that hugs the block tight and exits out the middle work? I was thinking it had to go back long ways

Jeff

Guest MistaFosta

Im not familiar with the 280 design, but i have seen the basic shorty blockhugger design (120 bucks at kragen!) in many v8 Z cars. You just have to get your exhaust man to weld a nice bend, so it wont stick out the bottom too much. Seems easy enough.

Guest Anonymous

A while back, I tried buying some blockhugger headers from Summit. I called, and the guy told me that the headers would not work, even though they were blockhuggers and came out down the middle of the block. The reason was that the first pipe leading down would actually hit the motor mounts. I'm sure this isn't true for ALL middle exit headers.

I actually found an exhaust manifold for sbc's that looked like it was made to get around the steering box in my car, but it was at a junkyard and the guy wanted $45 for it. They didn't offer refunds so I didn't want to take the risk of it not fitting and being out of the money.

~Brian

Guest Anonymous

As for block huggers, I have the Headman "tight tube" block huggers on my 82 280ZX w/ 350 SBC. They fit perfect on the right side, but the left side needed a little "fitting." I heated and bent the header about a half inch out and back to clear. They fit nicely and look good. However, the "tight tube" Headmans are a little pricey for block huggers as they are about a buck ninety.

------------------

1982 280ZX 2+2

Kaminari Full Fender Wide Body Kit

350SBC, TH350 & competition sound system.

[This message has been edited by 82kaminari350 (edited December 13, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

I have the headman headers too, and they work with a little modifying. I tried every header summit and jegs had to offer, and nothing fits. The zx power steering gets in the way. I just say take it to the shop and they can do it for you and it's not that bad a price. Like someone said ealier though, make sure they tuck the exhaust up all the way, mine hangs down a inch, and I'm always dragging it since I dropped my car 3 inches. Other then that the whole car sounds great, 2.25 all the way back with single flow master. The highschool kids never know what hit them smile.gif and i just bought a r200 with 3.9 and douple hump heads. Can't wait to get those boys on, then I'm really gonna fly smile.gif

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"