HybridZ

We really need to get on a letter writing campaign or something

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay this may seem really silly to many of you... it's not particularly Z related, and really, I doubt most of the guys here go to Jiffy Lube anyways... but here goes.

Jiffy Lube are either not training their employees/techs right, or these guys are not paying attention or not caring. Now for most of us this comes as no surprise ;) and most of us probably dont' care as few of us here actually go to jiffy lube for our oil changes.

But there is one thing that seemingly EVERY jiffy lube guy does wrong, something small that most people wouldn't even notice, that could be causing a lot of people a lot of problems.

They ALWAYS, ALWAYS overfill the oil in the engine!

I would think this is common knowledge... when you check the oil level via the dipstick, you either a) have to check after the engine has been shut off for at least 15 minutes, so that all of the oil in the engine has drained back into the pan, or B) if the engine has been run, figure the oil level should only be about halfway between the L and H marks. Every car manual, Haynes manual, Chilton manual, clearly states this....

But these idiots at Jiffy Lube, w/o fail, always fill to the H mark immediately after running the engine. Result? About 1/2 quart too damn much oil in the engine.

I recently got into an argument with a tech at a local Jiffy Lube... I take my sentra there, the thing is too much a PITA for me to do myself... and I TOLD the guy exactly how much oil to put in there, and he's disagreeing and arguing and telling me "hey if you run it low like that your engine will go bad and we can't be held responsible" so I talked to his manager and according to him, that when they are trained it has always been that they are taught to check after running the engine and the oil should be to the H mark.

So... I mean... I dunno we're a forum of car guys... surely some part of this pisses off some part of us to no end, that the unsuspecting masses (the un-car people) are running around with overfilled engines (think how many people get oil changes a day at how many Jiffy Lubes) possibly causing all kinds of problems for them down the road.

So just an idea... probably nothing anyone here would want to bother with.. but really, someone needs to be informed so that this practice gets corrected.

In most cases you can be a quart high or a quart low and your engine will still be ok. Of course if you are a quart low and decide to pull a .9G turn at 120MPH you could starve the engine if your oil pump is on the opposing side of the turn.

Too high? Well, if you are a 1/2 quart too high, I wouldn't worry bout it, but you know they get paid by the quart right?

I took my Chevy Sprint to Jiffy lube in Tok, AK one day when I was vacationing up there and I told them "olny 3.5 quarts of oil" They said, ok and then I see the bill "5 quarts". I check the car and it's like 1/2 between full and add. I said, "Why did you charge 5 quarts and only add 3? They said "we HAVE to charge for 5 quarts." I said ok, give me two quarts to take with me, they then reached behind the counter pulled out two quarts and said, That'll be $12.50.

Needless to say I changed my oil on the side of the freeway with a tire jack after that.