HybridZ

TT SBC Street car (pushing the envelope?)

Guest Blazer406

Guest Blazer406

Hey guys,

I am beginning to get enough parts together to actually start on my TT 383 '73 240Z project. My goal is about 700 Hp at the tires on ....... pump gas. I really want this to be a 85% strip/15% street car. I guess if I really didn't care about it being street car, I would (and still might for safety reasons) go tube chassis/aluminum interior.... ect.... except keep all the glass. I would be trying to cut as much weight as possible while still keeping all the glass turn signals, ws wipers ect..... everything I might need to actually get an inspection sticker here in MS :wink:

I want to hear everyones stories here and any pics you might have of suspension/chassis setup......

I am really interested to what people are doing to their cars..... like Hanns....

Especially suspension wise..........and chassis wise.....

I am kinda looking at maybe the jegster chassis kit with the full roll cage and maybe a ladder bar rear suspension setup. Is there anyone here running this type of setup .... or have seen one in person.... or are running something similar. I really want to keep the car street oriented (hence the pump gas) ... but also want to be safe. I realize 700 HP at the tires doesn't lend itself to be much of a street car.

Insert comments/criticisms/cusswords (JK) here......:

People here on the board...... I really want to know your tire size and rear end setup along with your 60' time. What kind of 60' time have people here gotten with their setup...on what sized tire? What does everyones car weigh (if you know)?

Thanks

email pics to bdykes@beabulldog.com

I am kinda looking at maybe the jegster chassis kit with the full roll cage and maybe a ladder bar rear suspension setup. Is there anyone here running this type of setup .... or have seen one in person.... or are running something similar. I really want to keep the car street oriented (hence the pump gas) ... but also want to be safe. I realize 700 HP at the tires doesn't lend itself to be much of a street car.

People here on the board...... I really want to know your tire size and rear end setup along with your 60' time. What kind of 60' time have people here gotten with their setup...on what sized tire? What does everyones car weigh (if you know)?

email pics to bdykes@beabulldog.com

If you are going to race it with that much HP, you need a full roll cage. Just pad it real well for the street when you aren't wearing a helmet. My 9" Ford rear with 4 link suspension barely fits into the Z. I dont know how you could fit any ladderbar suspension more than 2 ft long and still be functional.

I run pump gas on the street but generally behave myself. I use race gas at the strip so that I don't have to worry about detonation.

Last thursday , I just got my best 60 ft time, ever. It was 1.45 seconds. My 1/8th mile time was not that good because I was braking before the finish line( I didn't want to get kicked out for going too fast without a comp license ).

My Tires are DOT legal street slicks ( Hoosier Qt Pro's 28 x15 LT-12" wide).

Without me in it the Z weighs 2710 lbs. If you have enough HP you can afford to drive a heavier car.

Hanns

Interesting to see this post come up! I just joined the forum and I'm thinking along similar lines... still looking for a 240-280Z candidate at present.

Here is the plan though. I will be building a complete custom space-frame chassis out of mild steel. I found a lot of useful information on how to build one from a member over at www.corner-carvers.com who has built a killer old Mustang. You can see some info on his car at this link.... http://www.carter-engineering.com/preston67compcoupe.htm

I've been using a freeware program called GRAPE to design the chassis. This program was recommended by the guy who built that Mustang. I'm still getting the hang of the program and testing deflection with loads. Here is a link to some info on using GRAPE... http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6919&highlight=chassis

As for suspension, I plan on running a Satchell link rear setup. This is like a parallel four bar except that the lower links are angled in towards center at around 45 degrees. Up front I'll be going with an unequal length A-arm suspension with coil over shocks.

Body will be somewhat customized. I hope to go with some sort of custom quarters out back... I've been looking at the Reaction Research YZ option... but my inspiration was Nick's 240Z which can be seen here... http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8277 I'm also thinking about lowering the roofline a little bit, and smoothing together the front sheet metal to give the car a real smooth look.

As for the drivetrain... I'm hoping to run a twin turbo small block Chevy backed by a manual trans (Tremec TKO-600 possibly).

Interior will be minimalist...

I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Guest Blazer406
Interesting to see this post come up! I just joined the forum and I'm thinking along similar lines... still looking for a 240-280Z candidate at present.

I've been using a freeware program called GRAPE to design the chassis. This program was recommended by the guy who built that Mustang.

As for suspension' date=' I plan on running a Satchell link rear setup. This is like a parallel four bar except that the lower links are angled in towards center at around 45 degrees. Up front I'll be going with an unequal length A-arm suspension with coil over shocks.

As for the drivetrain... I'm hoping to run a twin turbo small block Chevy backed by a manual trans (Tremec TKO-600 possibly).

Interior will be minimalist...

I look forward to hearing your ideas.[/quote']

I have used the GRAPE program before I think. I think I used it my final semester in mechanical engineering.

I am pumped that there are several turbo projects going on/already done here on the boards. I have been a board member for quite awhile, but haven't posted too much because I actually have not done anything with my z-car yet. I have been reading and thinking of where I wanted to go. I have followed several non z-car related twin turbo SBC build-ups on other boards on the net. The ones I am more interested in are pump-gas motors.

For instance...... John Meany is an engineer in the Detroit area I think. He built a 406 ci twin turbo motor for his '91 vette. It has the HD 4L80E overdrive transmission. It is totally stock appearing from the exterior and still has the full interior. Stock wheels/tires/paint etc. Keep in mind that he drives this car to work several times a week. He took it to the track (drove it... not trailered). He then ran some part throttle/baby-it-out-of-the-hole launches progressing to full throttle as traction permitted. It ran 11.0's at 150 mph in the quarter on the factory Michelin Pilots. 11.0's is pretty quick... but nothing earthshattering. The 150 MPH time indicates that with proper traction, he could probably run 8's easy. He did get kicked off the track because after 150 mph.... you got to have a parachute!........

That is what makes me want a twin turbo EFI intercooled setup. I am sure that vette was far from light.......probably at least 3300+# for just the car w/o driver. That is what makes me fired up about a light car with the turbo motor. John Meany's car made about 1300 HP on pump gas. I believe that was flywheel HP, but I am not sure.

I am hoping for around 1000 FWHP with a 383 engine with not quite as good cylinder heads. I believe my goal is realistic, but just have to put the combination together. 700 HP at the wheels seems like a nice number. Put that in a 2500# car and I think I might be in love!

John Meany's car is only one example. Ther is another '82 vette buildup with a stroker 400 SBC twin turbo setup that made over 1200 flywheel HP at like 15 lbs of boost. Yet another 385 ci TT chevy with the same heads I have made over 900 HP at the flywheel on pump gas with a real conservative tune.

Hanns is an inspiration.... because he not only built a twin turbo Z car.... he actually races it .... regularly.... and it is not just a full out race trailer queen...... and he did it old school.... blowing through a carb.......that's even more amazing.....and speaks loads for his ingenuity and overall engineering ability. I am sure Hanns will agree that he could probably make even more power if he converted his car to intercooled and EFI. But as his video shows..... he is making as much power already as his big tires can stand...... :-)

I love it!

I want to hear everyones thoughts on their build-ups and see some results. My project is like most people's.... funding limited. I am having to make my street car..... like the old Johnny Cash song says.... "One piece at a time". It might take me awhile.... but that leaves alot of time for planning and attention to detail. I hope I have a safe car that runs on pump gas and easily runs low 9's at the track.... and can be driven to work every once-in-awhile..... I know... that is just sick!.... but I love it.

Blazer406: "I hope I have a safe car that runs on pump gas and easily runs low 9's at the track.... and can be driven to work every once-in-awhile"

You and me both!

I've seen some of the other cars you mentioned on the web. Those were what first caught my eye with respect to turbos. Then I bought a 300ZXTT and started reading about the amazing potential that turbos offer. Now, I'm hooked!

Awesome! a guy from MS!

My parents live in Jackson, I visit there from school every major break we get.

anyway, a full cage is a must obviously at the very least, especially if you're wanting to put that power in a z. not just for nhra/ihra legality, but imagine what 1000fwhp would do to a z's chassis! actually, dont put in a cage, cause i want to see that thing twist up like a corkscrew :D I would go with a tube frame and aluminum interior, though.

i think your idea is definately doable - its just a question of money and time, but arent all projects? ;)

good luck!

ps. i don't think you'll have any real problem getting a car like you want to build legalized in MS. oh how i wish TX was the same. :(