HybridZ

ATI dampner woes

preith

Did a search and only found the ATI referenced, but no one mentioned any pulley issues. I just picked an ATI dampner as part of a package deal on a dry sump setup for my L28. It seems to be a great part, and I'm estastic that I got this, but there's one problem. The Nissan comp unit has the fan belt pulley behind the dampner where as the ATI unit is flush against the front cover. There is a mandrel which has the alt. belt and dry sump cog on it, but this puts the pulley waaay out, probably about 3 or 4 inches from stock.

I have yet to contact ATI, but does anyone know of a water pump and alt. pulley kit for this? I'm guessing it's going to have to be a custom deal. I wonder if other ATI models are more like the Nissan unit?

I sent ATI an email and someone actually called me back! It looks like they can supply me with the actual crank mount for the dampner with a pulley mounted behind like the nissan unit. I'll keep you posted for anyone who's interested.

EDIT: It turns out they are going to custom machine a new crank adapter from a Pinto unit, go figure. The crank piece is about $100 and the custom machining, $40, which doesn't seem too bad.