HybridZ

Big Thanks to Tuner Trotter!

Dan Juday

My buddy from Lodi, Scott Trotter, a.k.a. "strotter" here, came by today with his laptop and wires and magic boxes and tuned my 305tpi motor today. It has never ran stronger.

It's pretty much a stock Tune Port 5.0 out of a 1991 Trans Am. It's using the stock ECM. Headers, exhaust, and a K&N snout type filter are the extent of the mods. It's connected to a WCT5 and I'm still running the 3.36 R180 untill I get the time to swap in the 3.54 R200 that's sitting on the garage floor.

Scott bacisly opimized the motor for performance with a code he produced based upon one for the 5.7 tpi. After burning a couple of chips we took it for a drive. Using his laptop and another magic box he was able to monitor all the vitals in realtime. AFR was a perfect 14.7 across the RPM range. It feels like I've got another 500 RPMs of strong pull at the top end. I'm very jazzed! I'm going to have to dyno this thing and see what my bowtie "boat anchor" is putting out. :wink:

Big thanks Scott. You're a great bud! :2thumbs:

motor.jpg

You're welcome, Dan, it was fun. And believe me, next time somebody makes a comment about "boat-anchor 305"s, I'll tell them about the little "carbon clearing" exercise you did with that thing - mine won't bark it that hard on the 2-3 shift, and I spent all *kinds* of money on that darned thing. Torque, huh? Maybe it's something I should look into...