HybridZ

Stock horse power, engine sizing etc. for the Z series?

Guest Wes06

Guest Wes06

Like the title says, I'm looking for some general info on each of the Z series cars.

Just stuff like stock hp, what engine was stock (and how big it was), and stuff like that.

Does anyone know of any good sites? I can't seem to find anything sifting through google or the forum archives.

Thanks in advance.

(sorry if there have been a million threads like this, but I just can't seem to get the right key words into the search function to pull any of them up).

Guest tony78_280z

VictoriaBritish magazine has a great time line of the Z in it's first few pages. It has lots of interesting information. Did you know that the 77-78 was the peak horsepower (at 170hp) for the 1st and 2nd generation Zs excluding the 280turboZX which only had 10 more horses? The 3rd generation (1984) 3.0L had 160hp and 200hp for the Turbo models. I had a 78 motor, but it didn't have enough power for me! :shock:

http://www.victoriabritish.com/ Get you a free seasonal magazine.

The reason the 280zx turbo's only had 10 more horses than the 280z was the way the horsepower was rated. Old school method was to measure gross HP, meaning at the flywheel with no alternator, fan, water pump, ect. The newer method was to measure net HP

I think the old 240z's only had 129 net HP

n/a 280zx's had 135-140 net HP

Of course nowadays when people talk about modifying cars for more HP they usually refer to wheel HP (the power that actually reaches the wheels after it loses alot to friction and rotating mass in the tranny, driveshaft, diff, ect.)

Wheel HP will be a even lower number than net HP