HybridZ

The Mystery Cam

Guest DoTheDrew888

Guest DoTheDrew888

I was helping a friend take apart and rebuild an engine (L28) today. The previous owner said it had a "hot cam" in it. I was somewhat skeptical of this because I heard it second hand and the engine looked like it had never been torn apart before. But when we got the head off, I took a close look at the cam and it did look different than stock, well sort of different. The lobes on the cam seemed to be about the same shape as stock and the duration, from what I could tell, was the same. The difference was that the lift seemed higher than stock. When we went to set the head down the open valves made contact with the floor. This was on a P79 head by the way. The cam was not a reground because other than the larger lift it had (from what I can tell) stock specs. Has anyone ever heard of an aftermarket cam with specs similar to this?

Also, the guy that sold it said the cam was made by Holley back in the 80's. I don't know if that is true or not.

Guest DoTheDrew888

I seem to remember it having an "F" stamped on the end of it instead of the normal "K". Its not my engine but I will see if I can get some measurements if I go out there this weekend.