HybridZ

turbo install advice please (kinda long)

Guest nitr0

Guest nitr0

Hey everyone. I'm in Australia with an 82 280zx, and as you all know we dont get many L28ET's over here so i'm "hacking one up" myself. Since i'm going to do an RB conversion to compensate for lack of lead replacement and horrible aussie fuel, i'm not all that worried about long term reliability etc etc, but i dont want the motor the die straight away, so heres what i have so far.

- T3/T4? Turbo that came with (garret with some HKS pipe welded to it)

- turbo adapter pipe for L28E NA exhaust manifold

- Medium sized intercooler

- 270cc injectors

- Boost gauge

- IC piping and exhaust sorted through work ;)

(coming 7-14 days)

- Hobbs Switch

- 17inch wheels

- GTR front rotors and calipers

*** I plan on running no more than 7-10psi of boost with the current L28E compression ratio (1982 280zx F54/N42) ***

From what i've heard, you can use the hobbs switch to activate the warmup enrichments when you hit boost, which pumps more petrol into the motor - and thats what will hopefully keep me from running to lean when i hit boost. I have access to an EFI tuning station at work and Exhaust gas Meter thing i cant use, so i'm not going into the whole thing totally blind - just with one eye shut.

I'm also hoping that having an intercooler will reduce the chances of pinging because of the high compression ratio.

Anyway what i'm wondering, is, will this work? I've been researching and collecting things for this whole project for 6+ months, used the search function on many sites and over-read my Haynes Manual, so i'm basically asking anyone with experience what they think of the whole procedure? will it work?

Sid