HybridZ

cams and such

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok question for all the engine wizards out there. I just bought some double hump heads out of a 69 corvette. I want to put a new cam in. right now I just have a sotck cam out of a 78 pick up truck. Does anyone recommend a cam out there that is gonna give me better performance, but not take all my gas milage away. Also, what type of lifters should I get, and do I need to put new push rods in and new rocker arms? I can do all the work, but just really have no idea about what is good stuff to get. Thanks for any and all info, and keep on building smile.gif

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

Guest Anonymous

There will no doubt be quite a few opinions on this one, but here goes. For mileage applications, you want low to midrange torque. High RPM is not a particularly fuel efficient proposition. Smaller valves, dual plane manifold and a shorter duration/lift cam. The idea is to get good intake velocity at lower RPM to get good throttle response off idle and part throttle. That said, heres one that I found while perusing the Crower website, the one I listed is they're second level that is highest performance mileage cam Crower makes:

CHEVROLET 262 267 283 302 305 307 327 350 400

HYDRAULIC CAMSHAFTSMileage Compu-Pro/Performance Level 2 - These cams provide excellent low end and mid-range power and extended rpm range for spirited street and off-road driving. A perfect combination of mileage and power. Modifications should include small diameter tube headers, low restriction dual exhaust, aftermarket manifold, increased cfm carburetor and reworked or performance ignition. Increase in compression ratio to 9.5:1 is recommended for maximum output. Works well with automatic transmission or 4-speed. RPM Power Range: 1300-1500 to 4000-4200/Redline: 5500 plus

CID GROUP :302/327

Grind Lobe Center :254HDP/112D

Advertised Duration (Intake): 254, (Exhaust) : 265

Duration @ 0.50 in. (Intake) : 204, (Exhaust) :210

Gross Lift(1.5/1.5) (Intake): .431", (Exhaust): .431"

This is only one example, there are surely a half dozen other Cam manufacturers and grinds available. Obviously tall gearing in 4th (auto), 5th or 6th OD helps enormously to get the RPM's down to low fuel consumption. Old pushrods and rockers can be used if they look ok, IMHO always change lifters with a cam though, no reason to wipe out a $100.00 cam using old lifters.

Regards,

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited December 18, 2000).]

make sure you run engine at 2500 rpm for 1/2 hour to break in cam.if engine wont start quickly find out why.cam is lubed from splash offof crank.if you turn the engine over with starter a bunch of times you end up with a flat cam.i did this on a ski boat engine with open headers on a sunday morning.nothing like the sound of a healthy 454 on a sunday morning -it wakes up the neighbors.