HybridZ

Fuel Pump Wiring

75280z

Hey guys i got a quick question, if i am swapping a Turbo into my car and i want to run a kill switch to my fuel pump, do i need to run the Fuel Pump to my harness or can i just hook it up to a 12 volt constant and just run the switch by itself with out tying it into the system, thank you for the help..

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to ask.. You can put a kill switch (for anti-theft reasons) but make sure it dosn't change the way the fuel pump relay operates nomally. There are safety reasons why the ecu controls the fuel pump. If you want anti-theft kill switch, here's what I would do..

pin #16 on a 280zxt ecu harness is the wire that controls the fuel pump relay. Cut that wire and solder on two wires to extend the wires to where you want to have your fuel cut switch (preferably out of sight) Then simply connect the two wires with a toggle switch. Unless the toggle switch is in the "on" position, the car will not start. Or if it does start, it will die almost instantly.

Yeah i realize that the ECU controls it for the purpose of priming the fuel pump and then shutting off, but my car isnt woring that way. So i was wondering for ease of use i could just run it with a toggle switch. and i think you answered my question thank you

I've explained this before but the reason the ecu controls the fuel pump is for safety reasons. Picture this.. You get into a severe accident and your fuel line is broken and you are knocked unconcious. The engine stalls because of the leaking fuel, and because the ecu knows the engine is not running it turns the fuel pump off. Unless of course somebody does a engine swap and wires up the the fuel pump to a toggle switch in which case the fuel pump empties the entire gas tank onto the scene of the accident. Food for thought.