HybridZ

How to make my custom 3" exhaust?

pjo046

I was thinking of doing the following:

Buy two 3" 45degree SS mandrel bends, have them welded together so that it makes for the downpipe from the T3/T4 hybrid. I would use V-band mounting and a V-band adapter flange for the T3 outlet.

Then I'd run 3" SS piping all the way back to behind the front diff mount, and there I would have two 90degree mandrel bends and a good muffler at the end.

How does this sound? Will my downpipe idea work out, or will this not fit in my 240Z when I have a T5 in it? I coul hammer the chassis in a bit to make room for it, and also shave some of the fins on the T5 if needed. Will this work? And is this a good solution? Is there anywhere to buy a fabricated 3" downpipe that fits in the 240Z?

Is it ok with just straight pipes from the turbo and back to the muffler, or do I need a glasspack or something to stop resonance(or will the turbo itself take care of that part?) For the rear muffler, what do you recommend? I was thinking of a magnaflow race muffler, but those are quite expensive. Any cheaper alternatives that are as good as those?

You do need a couple more slight bends than that.. a couple to straighten out after the tranny, and perhaps a couple at the diff (for sure if you have a R200) I would not bother getting a T5 tranny, for sure that will cause you come headaches with your exhaust and I don't think they are really any better than the Nissan trans anyway. There isn't any room for hammering the firewall as your gas pedal is right there (at least in North America) Get a muffler that is a "free flowing" style (something you can see right through) It'll have a nice sound and the turbo will love it. I have a DP that we used to mock up the 3" idea but never used it cuz when we went to build the exhaust system we misplaced it. I'd have to take mine off and make sure it fits my car but I'd sell it if you're interested. It's made from the same SS material and believe me it is NICE stuff! Here are some pics:

http://members.shaw.ca/icecube/DPclose.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/icecube/DPside.jpg

Well, I would be very interested in that. How much would you want for it?

It has mandrel bends? Two 45 degrees or?

What mating flange does it have? I have a t3/t04b hybrid with internal wastegate, belive it has a three bolt flange? Don't have it in front of me right now, it's at my parents house in their garage. But I do believe that it is a three bolt flange that is needed.

The pictures you showed me, is that of the downpipe you are using yourself now, or of the one that you can sell me?

Depending on how much you want for that downpipe, I could always use it, and just cut the flange of and have the right T3 flange welded on instead!!! ?

Or even better, if you have a welder yourself, you could do it for me if I bought a flange on the net and had it sent to your adress.