HybridZ

DIY port and polish, plus other pics

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

MAN i didnt think this little project would take so much time.

Trying to get the blue Z to show quailty and im take taking my time going over every little thing and detailing it some way some how.

desided i would fool with the N42 intake manifold i had, and port and polish it and also polish the whole thing.

man this really isnt very easy.

I got down pretty far, and even though it doesnt look it in the pic its all soooo smooth. took awhile but im happy. i might go over it again but for now its fine.

849_p66913.jpg

smoothed out all the casting lines and started to polish it up.

849_p66914.jpg

849_p66915.jpg

Guest ON3GO

849_p66916.jpg

still have plenty to do but in due time it will get there.

i went threw so many polishing bits and discs lol.

and heres a pic or 2 of the SR20DET rebuild me and my good buddie are doing for the S12.

849_p66917.jpg

849_p66918.jpg

Mike

im not an expert, but i was always told that u were not supposed to smooth the intake completely, ur supposed to keep it a bit rough. I know this rule applys to heads, but im not sure about the intake manifold. If you make it really smooth-then the gas won't stay suspended in the air, giving u a weak air-fuel mixture. Like i said, im not an expert, and im not sure if this rule applys to the intake, but it does apply on the head.

Guest JAMIE T

Also, it port injected so whatever you do in the intake has little or no effect on fuel atomization. FWIW, you won't gain too much unless you cut the runners and get deep in the port then weld it back together. Do you have 6" burs?

You will spend alot more time polishing the exterior than actually porting the intake. Good luck

Guest ON3GO

tell me about it.. the exterior is talking forever.

its hard just getting it smooth.

i have all kinds of different size bits, the head is ported and polished too.

i took alot out of the intake mani runners but i agree with you on i wont gain much at all.

mike

Guest Roaces

As far as roughness of ports and intake, you want any area that will have feul in the air to be slightly rough. So... from injectors to valve bowl, you want it to be a little rough, If it is too smooth, the feul has an easier time seperating from the Air. I'm not an Expert on this matter though.