HybridZ

What to do with PCV and rocker cover outlets?

pjo046

i've got the k&n filter on the valve cover, but when i remove the one from the crank and ran it into a homemade catchcan (and plugged the pcv valve) i suddenly had a little "chimney" up top. the valve cover filter was releasing puffs of smoke while it was running, it look both bizarre and disturbing. i reinstalled the pcv valve and am presently running it that way. i had to remove the hose that went in front of the throttle body and ran to the valve cover due to crazy modifications, it's not ideal but seems to be working.

Thanks for the reply.

First of all, I have to say that your car look awesome!! That's some engine you got there!! :-)

How about routing both the rocker cover outlet and the pcv outlet to the same catch-tank then? Wouldn't that work out fine?

Guest bastaad525

I run the small K&N filters on both the crankcase and the valve cover vents.

This can be a little messy though... if I had the cash and time, i'd run a hose from each of them to a vented catch tank.

If you want to keep your PCV system intact, it's best to use a non-ventilated catch tank, but be sure and leave BOTH the crankcase and the valve cover lines connected to their stock locations, don't run one and leave the other open, as this will create a vacuum leak... I did this for a while and wondered why my car was idling so badly... someone pointed this out to me, I put my thumb over the valve cover vent and suddenly the idle smoothed right out (crankcase was still connected to the PCV valve.)

What exactly do you mean by messy?

So much that it drips oil of them, or is it ok if I clean them twice a year? If they leak a lot I will go for a ventilated catch tank that is not returned to the intake. If it doesn't leak much, I'll use two small filters. So how bad is it, if you could describe it? :-)

From theory, you want the PCV to go to the intake, to reduce pressure inside the engine. Theory tells us the (vacuum or low pressuire) will decrease air resistance, and you will get more RPMs, just like a vaccuum cleaner when you plug the hose.

thx

Guest bastaad525

Tomohawk - you're thinking about how a vacuum pump works, like the guys that run these dedicated vacuum pumps on their built up motors to lower pressure and resistance in a motor as it revs. These guys have seen increases of 10-20hp on built up V8's by doing this.

I really don't think a PCV does anything like that. For one, a PCV really only functions under vacuum, under boost conditions the PCV valve closes (one way check valve), so there is no benefit of lowering pressure in the crankcase. Secondly I think those vacuum pumps provide a LOT of vacuum, more than just an idling or cruising engine.

Running or not running a PCV system should make little or no difference to performance, except that if you run a PCV system w/o a catch tank you'll end up with oil in your intake which could cause problems.

pjo046 - well some guys run the breather filters and dont seem to get any oil mess around them at all. On my car it's not TOO bad. The valve cover vent only gets a little bit of oil around the top of the valve cover, very little.

however my crankcase vent seemingly spews quite a bit of oil, as every couple months I check the rubber boot that goes from the AFM to the turbo (it runs right next to that filter and a little underneath it) and in the area of the boot that is very close to the vent it get's FILTHY, oil residue and dirt. This is why i really want to run a catch tank system. I dont know if this is abnormal or what... the motor is rebuilt so SHOULDN"T have an above normal amount of blowby, but I know I never had this problem on my N/A motor which was also open with the little filters on both vents. So I'm guessing it's more the turbo boost forcing air passed the rings into the crankcase and causing it to spit so much oil like that. I really dont know... but anyways no I have never seen it DRIP oil :)