HybridZ

T5/ Hydraulic TOB Woes

speeder

I have my new T5 installed with a McCleod bolt- on Hydraulic Throwout and SPEC "Super Clamp" dual diaphagm pressure plate and six-puck disc.

The clutch shows no sign of release action.

The retracted gap between the bearing and the diaphragm fingers is set within spec and my Tilton 3/4" Master is set for maxmum obtainable stroke - about 1". I seemed to have little difficulty with bleeding the system, good pedal.

I'm seeing about 1/2" stroke a the clutch diaphragm looking through the bellhousing hole, no sign of bleed down with the pedal held down. This travel seems to be nominal for my setup according to the instruction sheet for the TOB.

Just a question before I pull the transmission and clutch....Am I correct in thinking that the 1/2" actuation travel at the clutch is good?

Mine is the slip on version, but max travel is 0.645". Reccomended clearance is 0.100-0.125", so slightly over 1/2" would seem to be about right. You can use less clearance than 0.100", but probably 50 or 60 is absolute minimum. I would try a little less clearance and see what happens.

Does your pressure plate specs give a minmum throw for it to release properly?

John

jt1, thanks for that-

My next move before taking anything apart is to get the required travel (spec?)from SPEC for my pressure plate.

I'm kinda nervous about this setup - my T5 has a GM input shaft and requires a custom pilot bushing to enable a fit into the L6's crank - It was very carefully designed and machined. Can't imagine how some sort of problem there could cause this, but...

It's really hard to assemble a clutch wrong but...

I really hate working on clutches - Very hard to see what's going on in there and heavy wrenching involved to open it up to check.

Looks as this is "probably" the last obstacle to actually being able to drive my new G-force T5/R230 drivetrain.

I think it's just tolerance stackup. My setup is a 1st gen 350, GM bellhousing, tremec TKO, cola crank, Ram flywheel, 6 puck disc, and lightweight pressure plate, and the mcLeod slip on bearing. Bolting all that crap together resulted in negative clearance! Fully compressed, the tob was depressing the clutch fingers. I had some machined off the front bearing retainer, and a 0.125 spacer made for between the bellhousing and trans. Even so I only got 0.050 clearance. It's been in there over three years now, and I've had the trans or motor out once a year. Each time I've checked to see if the clearance had got less as the disc wears, but strangely enough there has been no change. I was leery of using more than 0.125 spacer because of losing the index between the trans and bellhousing, and how much could be safely machined off the retainer was anybody's guess.

Your results may vary!!!!!!

John

I have about .200" between the bearing and clutch fingers at full retraction- I can reach through the now empty actuator hole in the Nissan bellhousing to retract the piston to check. The bolt on TOB allows adjustment in .200" increments by means of swapping pistons. McCleod says to set this clearance to .100 to .350, with total TOB extension capability at .850. Everything here indicates ~ .500" operating travel as a design target.

I can't get back on this for a few days - family obligations - This is making me crazy. Delayed gratification is the operative description here.