HybridZ

I need bumper mounts for 240z conversion

Guest 280z/300zx

Guest 280z/300zx

Has anyone yet made mounts that are bolt on for the 240z bumper conversion onto the 280z? I know there was some mild talk about it a while ago. I lack the tools and knowledge to make them my self and the couple shops I was looking into to help me all are too busy to help right now. Every week I call they say try next week. I really want to get these bumpers on there or at least the front but it doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. I know a lot of you guys here fab your own stuff and might be able to help me out. Also the bumpers I'm using are off a 72. Thanks

Guest 280z/300zx

The stock 240z brackets don't work on the 280z. I already have the 240z brackets and tried. Where they are supposed to bolt to the body the turn signals for the 280z are there. Most people said to invert the brackets and bolt them to the stock mounting holes of the 280z mounts. That doesn't work either unless you bend, cut, and redrill new hole into the 240 mounts. This is where lacking in tools comes in. I don't have anything to properly bend the brackets to where I need them, I don't have anything to cut the bracketes either; cutting is needed becuase once you bend them so that they line up on the body they are too long. And then the redrilling which I lack a drill and bits strong enough to go through the metal. I have a wusy little charge up drill for simple in-house jobs. I've talked to others who have done this and they make it seem so simple but they have the tools and experience, both of which I lack in this area.

Guest 280z/300zx

Yup, a long time ago when I was first looking into doing the conversion. That link should be taken off as it doesn't provide any useful information on how to actually do it. Anyone can say just use a strip of metal bent to the proper spec to use as mounts. What would be helpful is the actual measurements of the mounts so that others could copy it. What is the most frustrating thing is that in my mind I can see what needs to be done and how simple it is but since I don't have the proper tools to do it I have to rely on others to make them for me. I'm just really surprised that after all this time no one has ever made a kit for the 240z bumper conversion. I think if a place like MSA sold them they would sell like hotcakes.

Guest 280z/300zx

Thanks for the info but that shop is really far from me. I'm in lancaster, Ca also known as the antelope valley.