HybridZ

Roller rocker tip failure?

All righty, This is my engine builder's input.......

"Roller should be centered at 1/2 lift. At zero the roller is under center( closer to intake ). At full lift roller is over center ( closer to exhaust). Roller makes a sweeping pattern across the valve tip."

He also suggest you do the following....

" Paint the complete valve train assm. with machinist dye including push rods,guide plates, valve springs,rockers,ect. Then assm. the valve train on the short block and hand rotate the assm. a minimum of 4 turns. Disassm. the valve train and look for wear/missing dye areas. Adjust the alignment of the affected parts, repaint the areas and repeat the process till all wear areas have been addressed."

Hope this helps....

LARRY

Larry, thanks for the feedback. When I get it back from the machine shop, I'll try the blue trick on the valvetrain. That's a good idea.

I talked to the guys at Canfield a good bit, they said if the guideplates need clearancing, to do it all to the inside of the guideplate. I know I touched them up some originally, but I smoothed them out in both directions. They're not a big fan of the Comp promags, they prefer Crane Gold, but said thet really shouldn't be an issue. I'm certain the rocker geometry sofar as rocker height, roller sweep, and pushrod length was dead on the money. I think the lateral alignment was my downfall.

Pete, my machinest said the rings were just plain wore out. They've been run almost 4K miles, 95% of it on track, so they haven't lived an easy life. Other than the metal in the oil accelerating the wear, it seems the compression is unrelated to the rockers.

John