HybridZ

KA swap semi-success (280zxt)

Phyxius

I got the KA tranny in my car and on the road today. It was great after seeing it sit for about a month.

My only concern is that the tranny seems to be too noisy. The gear noise is very prominent. I think I overfilled it a little, but I've never heard of that making a tranny more noisy. I'm also not sure about the angle that I have it mounted at. I think it may be tilted too far back. Any ideas?

Some things I noted during the swap:

The shifter position moves so far back that the stock shifter boot and console must be modified or removed. The shifter will work without modification to the body sheet metal, though it looks like it will not.

Making a solid mounting plate is much easier than modifying the cross-member.

The shifter MUST be removed to install the tranny. I could install my old tranny without removing the shifter.

Get a bellhousing from an 82-83 if at all possible. Trying to clearance the inside of the case is a pain....especially if you are using a battery powered dremel...ugh...

You can swap the countershaft gear from the old tranny onto the KA tranny to avoid the cost of having the countershaft bearing hole in the Z tranny bored. A gear puller helps here, but It is possible with a nice drift and hammer if you are careful. I would recommend the gear puller. If the feet on the gear puller are too thick to seat behind the bearing, use a flathead screwdriver or 2 to work the bearing away from the gear a little.

The haynes manual is wrong on the bellhousing to rear extension bolt torque. They do not take 131.8 lb-ft. 25 ft-lb is a much safer number.

Replace the input and output shaft seals while you are at it. $20 well spent. O'rielly couldnt seem to find the right ones in their computer, so I went to autozone and got the part numbers...went back to O'rielly and they had them in stock....go figure...

Check the clutch and flywheel while you are at it. Try not to think about how great an aluminum flywheel would be....haha

If you want to shorten the shifter, now is the time. I used a propane torch to melt the rubber in the stock shifter enough that I could seperate the 2 halves. I then cut the threaded part off the top half and welded it to the bottom half. It cut about an inch off the shifter, and it feels nice.

The reverse light switch (on the 4 speed bellhousing that I used) was not in the correct location. There was another boss on the housing that would have put it in the right spot, but I wasn't in the mood to take it back apart to drill and tap the hole when I noticed.

that's all I can think of for now

At some point the fan shroud had come loose from the tab and was letting the fan hit it. It was sort of an intermittent noise, and wouldn't really do it at idle. The more I drove, the more iI noticed that it wasn't related to the transmission. So I started looking around under the hood and noticed the fan shroud wasn't where it should have been....