HybridZ

305 with 5 spd or 350 with TH350

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hybrid Z Gurus:

I'm about to embark on the Hybrid Z process with an infamous limited budget. I already have a 1977 Chevy MonteCarlo with a 4 Barrel 350 and TH350 (it runs too) which I received for the right price..free and will start on acquiring the body later. I ran across a late 80's Trans AM with a NA 305 and a 5 spd in more or less running condition for $600 (engine/tranny).

My goals are:

Daily driver

20(+-3) MPG

13 second quarter mile (for now)

Decent highway cruise (RPM)

Cheap to fix.

Occasional autocross would be nice. The catch..trying to do it for around $2000 total.

For those of you that have done the swap which is the better option:

1.)Keep the 350-TH350 together and go ala JTR

2.)Buy junkyard 5 spd/305 for $600 and go ala JTR

3.)Buy 5 spd, buy flywheel/clutch add to 350 and go ala JTR

4.)Find BUICK 215 aluminum V-8 (or ROVER equivalent) and add BOP205 bellhousing and T-5 (light weight ~300 lbs w/o tranny)

I'd love to do the GN setup but Uncle Sam doesn't pay me enough yet. Anyone with this setup care to do some pro's and cons! Is the transmission a T-5? Can I keep the Datsun clutch cylinder? I'm about to order the JTR book so hopefully this isn't redundant.

My wife is about to kill me for all the time I spend reading this page. Best information on hybrids out there. Thanks again for your support. Wish I'd done this swap years ago!

------------------

William Alcorn

Wichita Falls, TX

"Takeoffs are optional, Landings are mandatory"

[This message has been edited by Z Pilot (edited December 30, 2000).]

With your extremely limited budget, you could get everything you wanted with the 350/350 set up. The only thing you'll lose is the cruise rpm--you'll be turning a bit higher than desired although you'll meet your other requirements fairly easily (small price to pay). Study the JTR manual and memorize it. Do the very minimum in modifications required for the swap, source used parts when necessary, and you'll be just about there.

Davys words of wisdom ($.02): Have the cash ready BEFORE you begin, otherwise this will be a VERY looooonnng project. Plan out every expenditure, otherwise you'll go way over budget in a hurry. I'm too meticulous and with a very limited budget, I'm still doing this project (not a car, but a project) for several years now. All because the money was not all there up front...

Happy V8 conversion and best of luck!

David