HybridZ

IT'S ALIVE!!!!! But it's getting too hot and has bug

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

So I finally got that beast a running :D:twisted::D

But it seems to be getting hotter than it did before. My temp gauge says that it's at normal but I've got stem coming out of the over fill hose. I havn't flushed the colling system since I blew the HG but the coolant looked fine when I drained it. I only drove 1 block once it blew. I'm thinking maybe the thermo doesn't come all the way open, the pump is bad? The pump should be fine I check for freeplay and it's nice and tight, I can also see water moving.

Another bug I've got is my oil pressure sender must be broke because it says I have none. It did this off and on in the past. The unit looks new and I clean the connections. Does the gague go out sometimes? I check the oil alot and havn't seen any bad signs yet. I relly cleaned out all the old oil.

As far as the motor it was smoking alot at first. Smoke was pouring out if the crankcase ventalation, it's fine now. Still got to work out the timing. I couldn't get it to start at 35* so I had to dial it all the way back to 5* I have NO advance with my setup it is all set by hand.

Thanks for all the help I got here I'd be scratching my head still with out it. Really do mean thanks!!! :2thumbs:

Damn I feel like Rocky!!!!

Isk

I temporarily remove the thermostat after a head gasket to prevemt any vaccum locks in the circulation. Problems that I have encountered.... radiator looks good but is corroded causing overheating..needs boiling and rodding...water pump visicous crap is wore out and slliping at speed and is not allowing the fan to turn fast enuff for proper cooling.... Rather than buy a new pump I have wrapped welding wire between the visicous housing and then anchored in screws into the wire placed evenly around between the two housings to lock the fan solidly to the rotation of the water pump. Another way is to take the visicous housing apart and insert some material (silicone, thin leather, JB Weld etc) inside to solidly lock the visicous housing from free spinning........the turning fan and radiator flow may look right but but still not have the force and push to adequetely cool.You can start by locking the fan to the water pump as described above to isolate the problem .. ...................................................................................If you can find the old style non visicous style water pump and accompaning fan switch to that. I have used L 20B (same size) 4 cylinder water pumps and the smaller fans to cool a Z.... The problem in radiator flushes today that they are no stronger tha mouthwash.. Get some Electrosol dishwasher powder detergent and liberally apply to the radiator and run the engine.....After awhile ...you will see shiney brass inside ...This stuff is better than the old radiator flushes that had 3 skulls and cross bones on the label.

Guest iskone

Well I have an electric fan so the fan always works. The motor is not getting nearly as hot as it was at the moment. I'll flush the radiator in the way you described.

Right now I'm more worried about the oil pressure gauge. I guess I'll just have to follow the wires out of the gauge back to the sensor and see what I find.

Isk

Guest iskone
Well I have an electric fan so the fan always works. The motor is not getting nearly as hot as it was at the moment. I'll flush the radiator in the way you described.

Right now I'm more worried about the oil pressure gauge. I guess I'll just have to follow the wires out of the gauge back to the sensor and see what I find.

Isk

Well I take that back. I was putting the seat back in because I wante to go out for a test drive and I would look at the temp gauge here and there and altough everything was fine the it started to blow out steam from the overflow hose.

I also seem to be having a problem with the battery or the starter or the altanator. I just had my Optima Red Top charged today and for some reason eventhough my car was just running for 20min it acts like it's dead. I have a 105 amp alt I'll install tomorrow and see if that helps.

How much Electrolsol should I use? half the amount for a load of dishes?

Isk

Guest iskone

So I'm just going to buy a new water pump, not a reman. It's only $35 I'm gonna buy a new thermo as well I'll test mine in boiling water tonight. I'm buying a 180* thermo.

What temp thermo's do you guys use? I'd rather have a 160* but wanted to ask first.

I'm thinking my starter might have been getting too hot and seizing up slightly. But would that make the battery sound dead? You know that wur wur wur noise.

Isk

Use 180 degree thermostat....run engine without thermostat until overheating problem solved........................................... dissolve about a cup of electrosol gradually in radiator....run motor till hot and leave electrosol in radiator for a few days and flush.........inspect and repeat treatment if needed........... your startter solenoid maybe out..........take an old screw driver and arc it across the starter solenoid electrical post to the starter electrical post...... if starter turns freely this may indicate a bad solenoid