HybridZ

Flywheel size clarification need for t5 transmission

Guest nwzeeman

Guest nwzeeman

I'm hoping you guys can clarify a flywheel question for me. I have a 350 sbc going into my 1978 Z. I just bought a t5 transmission/bellhousing. The engine is from a 1982 truck, so it is a two-piece rear seal engine. I see a lot of flywheels that say pre-86, and I think I need the 153 tooth. I have not yet bought the clutch yet, so here's my question:

Is there a specific diameter flywheel to fit the t5 bellhousing? When I inquire on Ebay about the diameter of various generic 153-tooth flywheels, I get different answers. It appears that I need a 13.5" diameter flywheel. Also, the 82-85 camaros had a 10.4" diameter clutch....would this be the same as a 10 1/2" clutch for mounting to the flywheel? The 10 1/2" clutch seems popular.

Thanks for any input. -Rod

1978Z still on jack stands

350 sbc on the engine stand

T5 5-speed ready to go.

I'm doing the swap in my 280ZX. Similar to yours. You want to go with the stock Camaro flywheel. It is 153 tooth and weighs 15 lbs. I got mine from Scoggin-Dickey here:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3181/products/2118/1985-Earlier-SBC-BBC-Nodular-Iron-Lightweight-Flywheel-12-3-4-in.htm

I was the same as you, on deciding which flywheel to use. I even ordered a "suppossedly" Camaro flywheel from O'Reilly's, only to try and lift it off the counter and noticed it was waaay too heavy. If you go with the bigger flywheel, you cannot use the Camaro clutch. For a relatively lightweight flywheel, I think the price is not too bad. My transmission is mounted and functioning with a stock Camaro clutch and the 85 F-150 master cylinder, so I at least know it all bolts up!!!

Guest nwzeeman

Thanks so much for the reply. I know now how to proceed. Interesting that you mention the use of the Ford clutch master cylinder. I had read in the other posts that this make for an easy hookup to the camaro slave cylinder, but that there was a little work to do on the firewall (drilling a new hole) to make the master cylinder fit up correctly. Could you expand on anything you had to do mount the Ford master cylinder to the firewall and hook up to the clutch pedal? Thanks. -Rod

I could expand on it, but I think since I am running a 280ZX, it might be different information than what you need. About 3 weeks ago, a thread was on this board asking about the Ford clutch master cylinder, so just do a search for it and it will show up. This thread will give you the directions on how to install it, as well as part numbers for the clutch master cylinder and the line (which you must get from Ford). Seems like for the Z it is only 1 hole to drill, as I had to drill both holes. The hardest thing was to get the holes drilled straight!

I plan on doing a writeup for this on the 280ZX since I ran into some problems that were different on the ZX.