HybridZ

350/280ZX steering box issues

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

I've been toying with the idea of putting a SBC in my 81 280ZXT. I'm a little confused here. Everything I've searched for is all about doing the swap that has the steering box, not the power rack and pinion. Is the power rack setting behind the cross member an issue with the oil pan? I have a 81 coupe parts car with a power steering box, a 81 2+2 parts car with a power rack and pinion, and my 81 ZXT has a power rack. Could someone elaborate on the use of headers if the power R&P is used? Thanks guys. I've learned a lot on this forum.

In my experience, a stock oil pan will barely clear the mounting brackets of the r&p setup. I have about 1/4" clearance without any modifications. As far as the steering shaft, you can either cut up a set of headers and re-weld them (like I did) or just buy the Sanderson headers from JTR.

Your exhaust pipe should go between the steering shaft and the frame, JTR does it that way and so did I.

Guest 305240

Wow! Thanks guys. I see I need the updated JTR book now. I was just offered a sweet deal. A 67 283, with a 200R4. I'm looking for a highway cruzer, not a screamer. I think this combination will be the best for my needs. Again, thanks.