HybridZ

Custom drive shaft needed for 5 speed swap??

mario_82_ZXT

Arrgh! yet again something goes wrong.

I am swapping the auto from my 82 turbo to a 5 speed from an 82 non-turbo.

The driveshafts are different. The turbo driveshaft is bigger, accomadates a bigger output shaft, and has a large flange with large bolts. This driveshaft will not fit my 5 speed.

The non-turbo 5 speed driveshaft will not fit the differential flange (flange and bolts too big).

Do I have to make a custom driveshaft? Or can I swap the u-joint myself? Or can I swap the differential flange out? Or have the turbo flange holes filled and redrilled to accomadate the smaller non-turbo drive shaft?

Help me please!

Mario

Mario ... you should be able to swap to the non turbo parts by removing the differential companion flange... The problem is removing the companion flange nut that is tourqed to 150 foot pounds and is peen "staked" to the drive pinion threads... The "peen stake" on the companion nut flange can be trimmed with a file or grinder and a cheater bar on a 1/2 or 3/4 inch ratchet will help remove the highly tourqed nut. OR ..........You should be able to swap the yoke assembly at the 1sr ujoint and replace the automatic yoke with the 5 spd yoke to ues the turbo droveshaft and differential companion flange which would be the best alternative