HybridZ

Something wrong with ignition

AK-Z

I have a 78 280z and was running. I swapped the ignition coil with that of a volvo boat engine, it worked. Then I swapped it with the original coil. I put the leads on backwards by accident. I cranked the motor and no ignition. I check the coil and realized the leads were backwards, then I corrected it. I then cranked it for like a minute and could smell gas coming from the tail pipe, so its getting gas. I then realized that the seatbelt buzzer wasn't going off and the ebrake light was not on. I check the fuses in the fuse bax and are all good. I took off the positive lead off the coil and put a volt meter to it and the chassis and nothing (with the battery in and key in and turned on).

Are there anyother fuses I missed?

Does anyone know what I might have fried and is there a fix?

I'm not in a big hurry to fix it. I might get another 280z (1977) in better condition, but its carbed and is an automatic, so I would like to swap my EFI, 5 speed and r200 diff into it.

the fuse links seem to be fine. What else could there be?

I think the comp is fine because it only controls fuel and the distributor controls spark by vaccum advance timing, but I could be wrong.

It did try to start but it didn't. but still no power in positive lead of the coil.

Well found that there is power to the positive lead while cranking and I tested for spark while cranking. I think all I did was fried the coil. My dad thinks that its cranking too slow so I'm gonna charge the battery. I just put the volvo coil in since I know the car started with that one before.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot about this thread. Well I got it started. It wasn't the coil. the spark plugs just need to be cleaned (or changed, but I'll do that later) and yes a fully charged battery is alway a good thin (xecept if you're touching the terminals, lol).