HybridZ

Is my starter messed up?

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

Alright, I've tried everythign and finally just took off the starter and placed t on the ground and connected jumping wires from the battery to the starter...When I put the positive cable to where the positive cable should be...It didn't spin, however, when I hooked it up to the M terminal (which I believed that Advanced did) the starter would turn AS soon as I connected the power cable to the battery...You think the solenoid is broken?

Guest Pegasus76

Hey again guys, I just went back out there to fiddle around with it...I jumped it again on the "right" terminals...I took a small wire and connected it to the small plug in underneath positive terminal on the positive and nothing...I then just took the positive cable from the jumpers and connected a current to both the positive terminal and the small plug beneath it and it would still only "click"...I then switched to my mom's new suzuki battery and it did the same thing...However, when I touched the "M" terminal on the starter, the starter would spin but not pop out. Any ideas? I'm hoping the solenoid is busted so I don't have to do anymore poking hahaha

Are you using the Suzuki battery fully connected in the Suzuki?????.....You must have the starter's ground terminal grounded to a good known ground... ie the Suzuki's ground battery cable..... with the battery's positive hot lead connected to the starter's positive hot terminal and the ground terminal connected to a known ground source........... arc between the the solenoid's spade terminal and the starter's hot positive terminal ...the starter should spin and the starter gear should kick out...... An auto parts store is usually eguipped to test starters and alternators.

Guest Pegasus76

Good call, I did that and it finally kicked out and spun...So now I went and bought a voltmeter and was in the process of checking my wiring and then it decided to rain :o( But I will let you guys know the progress! thanks a bunch for your help

Good call Ol' Timer. But how is the battery? Have you tried using a known good battery and jumpers on the car's system? A battery with a dead cell could have enough power to pull in the solenoid (45 amps) but may not have enough to spin the enigne (150 amps). A battery will drop voltage like a rock if it is discharged or damaged internally like having a dead cell. Good luck, glad you got a meter.