HybridZ

AC controls for 240

Guest 73LT1Z

Guest 73LT1Z

I need AC in whatever I end up with. I've found a decent '72 Hybrid Z, but the AC was removed. I've looked at the controls in my '73 & there is no indication of AC on it (it had all the stuff in the engine bay, so I know it was an AC car).

The 280s I've seen all have an AC indication on the control panel, so these are certainly factory setups.

From what I've learned, the 240s had the AC added once they got here.

How was the AC controlled on these systems?

I've added AC to one of my Corvairs & the control panel was different for that option. I know on the early models, the AC hung under the dash & had it's own control.

I don't care to go this route on a Z if that is how it was done.

I know on the early models' date=' the AC hung under the dash & had it's own control.

I don't care to go this route on a Z if that is how it was done.[/quote']

That's pretty much how it was done. Big box stuck in the passenger footwell and a goofy "pod" screwed to the side of the console with a switch and a knob on it.

I have other reasons as well, but I'm swapping out my 240 dash for a 280. Certainly solves the AC controls issue.

Guest 305240

I've got the same thing Dan is talking about. I'm switching everything over from my 240 to a 260. This includes the add on AC unit. From all the reports I read, the dealer add on AC didn't really get the car cold, just sorta cooled it off a little. I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Guest 73LT1Z

Next issue-

I've found a nice looking '77 280, but the control panel is not marked with AC, and I'm not sure if the car ever had it (waiting for seller's response).

How difficult is it to add AC to one of these since it was a factory option? Seems like the parts to do so should be available with the rust out rate of these cars, I added used factory parts to my Corvair when I did it.

I'm attaching a closeup of the dash controls on this car.

Dash controls_thumb.jpg

Guest 73LT1Z
...So far, it's a huge pain in the ***.

This was the start of the second paragraph on that page.

Just like w/ body condition, it appears it is best to find a car the way I want it vs. fabrication (did enough of that with the turbo install on the TA).