HybridZ

Car won't start...

Guest rommelrommel

Guest rommelrommel

1972 240z, mainly stock motor, rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago. Car hasn't been driven any significant amount in about 12 years, other than 3 years ago when I drove it from Edmonton to Vancouver. On the way back it was a really hot day, and about every 1-2 hours in the sun it would die, and need to sit for 15-20 min, once it cooled off the car ran fine. Since then the car has always started pretty easily, ran ok if a little rich/rough. I figured then the dying was due to the horrible fuel system not being able to deliver fuel.

Last year I was getting the car ready for inspection, on a short drive it died again. Let it sit 5-10 min since it was hot, started, then died again about 5 minutes later. Had to tow it home, got it to start, but would never stay running for more than 5 minutes. Since then I put on a new coil, new plugs again, new fuel pump/filter, gas tank cooked out and relined.

So, last night I finally finished the fuel system overhaul, primed carbs, and tried to start it up. Fired almost right away, ran really rough/lumpy for about 15 seconds, died, and will not start for anything now.

Pulled the plugs, they were really carboned (again), and had some gas on them, so I cleaned, and replaced. Still no start.

I know next to nothing about carbs, and only have my haynes manual. I also have an extra set of round top 3 screw SU's. I'm tempted to rebuild the spare set, get the car running at least, then take it to get tuned to a good local Zcar guy I'm cool with, I just don't want to take it over as is and get into a huge bill if it's not necissary.

Any advice?

Guest rommelrommel

All 6 were pretty bad. I absolutely want to keep the carbs since the vast majority of the car is original.

I opened up the second set I had and they look like they may have been rebuilt recently, the little filters going into the floats were brand new, and the float chamber was nearly spotless. If they were wrecking yard finds I would think there would be old gas gummed up inside of them? I got them from the previous owner and he couldn't remember how he had gotten them.

Tomorrow I'm going to check timing again just to make sure it's the carbs that I should be concentrating on. Also, didn't mention that I've done points, cap, rotor, wires. Basically everything ignition/fuel has been replaced except for the carbs.

Yes, junker carbs would have mung and drool all over them.

I recommend to always start with the basics so you don't overlook something easy. Fuel, compression and spark at the right time. A good shop is worth spending money on, especialy for some free advise later on. (like them showing you how to keep your carbs in tune)

Guest rommelrommel

Yeah, I'm pretty much down to taking it in and getting it set up. I really would have preferred to get it running first, but wth, tow bill isn't much more than a day permit.