HybridZ

War of the Manifolds

Guest Battle Pope

Guest Battle Pope

Okay, so right now my 460 has a Weiand Stealth (dual plane) on it, topped with a Holley 780 (vacuum secondaries).

I met a guy who has a Weiand Hi-Rise Tunnel Ram topped with twin Holley 600s. He wants 350 for it.

Which setup would be better in the long run?

The engine is stock except for the mani and carb, but will be a mild build eventually. I'm leaning toward the tunnel ram simply for the wow factor...

Guest BOOMER-Z

Tunnel Rams can be extremely difficult to live with, especially on a motor that's not capable of handling all that capacity. I knew a guy who ran a Tunnel Ram setup on a mild big block in an early Camaro. It ran terribly and he could get taken by a Dodge van. If your motor doesn't have enough cam, decent high-flowing heads, a high-stall converter for your tranny (or a manual), and steep rear-end gears, the result will be a lot of fouled spark plugs and a trail of black smoke every time you stand on it.

You didn't mention if the 600 Holleys were double pumpers or vacuum secondary. If you're determined to go forward, you could crutch it until you build up your motor by disconnecting the secondary linkages (double pumper) or installing extra-stiff springs in the vacuum cansiters (vacuum secondary) effectively meaning you'd be running two 2-Barrel carbs. You'll get poor fuel distribution and have a big flat spot on the bottom end, but at least you won't be drowning your motor.

Another thing you want to consider is what "theme" you're trying to achieve with your car. Tunnel Rams look great on cars inspired by drag racing (shortened 9" rear with big wheel tubs housing the widest tires you can stuff in them out back, skinnys up front), but really out of place on cars that look like they belong on a road course.

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures of this beast!

Rick