HybridZ

Z32 CV Shaft ?s

speeder

Got my R230 in, working well, feeling good about it. Recently heard from TimZ of a problem with the same axle setup I'm running (Ross's shorty axles and companion flanges, two inner Z32 CVs per side).

Tim had a problem with overextending the axles to the point of ripping the RH cage/ball assembly past the stop ring in the CV housing. I happened to be at Tim's for the post mortem, and we found that, in addition to the overextension, the inner CV grease cap had a hole in it where the CV cage had punched and/or spun/wore through.

Turns out that Tim's axles were assembled with the cages flipped so that the assembly was in the "short" configuration, obviously too short for the maximum extension experienced. This explains the overextension problem, but the hammered grease cap worried me.

I came back to Florida and pulled my axles to check for correct assembly - Mine were assembled in the correct "long" confiigration - (couldn't remember how I originally did it, but I did measure the total travel required and had configured the axles accordingly) - which was good, but I noticed that both my inner side grease caps were getting hammered. Distinct bulges were noticed.

Right side:

Raxle.JPG

and left side: not so bad

Laxle.JPG

I've read everything posted here about R230s and this thread -

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=90068&page=1&pp=25 contained a discussion about concerns for the cages floating inside the housings without any springs or buttons inside to center them. As I remember, this concerned me at the time, but several R230 conversions were being operated without any mention of problems, so I blew it off.

Does anyone using the Z32 axles see any evidence of problems with this?

Does this indicate that maybe a spring/ button arrangement be designed to control the travel?

Here's the inside of the grease cap.

Cap.JPG

A little out of focus, but it looks as if metal is being removed from the cap in addition to the deformation by impact. The large ring is where the cage contacted, the center mark is made by the shaft.

Looks as if some engineering is required to build some kind of stop/centering device.