HybridZ

700R4, speedo question

280Zone

I am having a problem getting my electronic speedometer hooked up to my 700R4 Trans. I bought a Auto Meter convertor that converts a cable connection to an electronic pulse, however the problem is that my 700R4 trans has no cable connection (I should have looked before I bought). I did find that where the speedo cable usually attaches to a transmission, is an oval plug with two terminals inside. Can I use those connectors to trigger my Auto Meter gauge? If so which is which.

Not really sure with that trany. But I am pritty sure that if you can't find where the speedo cable goes than chances are that the trany has a sending unit for the speedo (electrical signal), or that the car that it came out of had the speedo sender (cable or sending unit) on the differential (nissan silvia s15). As with polarity on speedo senting units, I personally haven't found one, but I could be wrong. What car/manufacturer is the trany for/from?

• 3 weeks later...

The guys at Bowtie overdrives response to this question was. Try one of the terminals and if it dosn't work try the other one. You shouldn't need to buy anything to make it work. Good luck. Im a good thee weeks out before I will know if I picked the right terminal. Im trying the top terminal first. If you get a chance to test this please let me know. Thanks

ZFreak, can it be that easy? I already bought the $50 cable to electronic connector before I realize I didn't have the cable hole.

Not sure when I can get around to testing this since this weekend isn't the V8 cars turn. I'll let you know though when I do.

• 2 weeks later...

I did so more reseach and found out that one of the terminals needs to be grounded and the other sent to the signal tab on the speedo. ( autometer electronic ) It appears that it dosn't matter which one is grounded. As soon as I have time I will try it and post the results.

It worked, ground one of the terminals. Mine needs calibration badley, I was going 140 mph ( or so the speedo said ) around the block and put 4 miles on the odo. I unhooked the ground wire until I have time to do the calibration.