HybridZ

Which short shifter for KA trans mod?

danman

Hi everyone,

I just fininshed installing a 1991 240SX transmission into a 1977 bell housing and got it installed in car. Everything runs great, but I would like a good short shifter.

I see that B & M as well as NISMO make short shifters. What is everyone else running and how do they like it?

Thanks.

By the way at least on a 1977 4 speed case the reverse lights will no longer work correctly, they stay on always so I disconnected. I need to mark where the sensor fits through and machine the shift fork when I take the transmission apart again someday, until then no reverse lights.

i had the same problem on my install. On my front case, there was another boss for the sensor to mount in that would have put it in the right spot. I didnt want to take it all back apart to drill and tap it though...

As far as short shifters go, I don't really know... I just shortened the stock one a little...I know it's not the same as having a real short shifter...but it kinda works

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I LIEK THE B&M, I'VE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THEM... THEY USED TO BUZZ AT HIGH RPMS, BUT THEY MAY HAVE FIXED THAT. LOOK UP MOOKEEH SHORT SHIFTER ON EBAY... THOSE ARE B&M KNOCK OFFS AT 1/4 THE PRICE IF MONEY IS AN ISSUE.

HKS MAKES A SHIFT TENSION SPRING SET THAT INCREASES SHIFT FEEL, REDUCES SLOP AND VIBRATIONS, BUT LEAVES THE STOCK THROW IF THATS YOUR BAG. http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/hksshspkit.html

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Just Some Info From Off The Top Of My Head On That Ikeya Shifter.... Fully Sequential, 4x Times Faster Shift Throw Than Any Short Shifter On The Market, Fully Adjustable Shift Engagement, Reverse Lockout (removable For Quick Racing Recoveries), Digital Gear Indicator Also Available.

Thanks for the info. Interesting idea there, but at $1,000 I'll pass. I know B & M makes a good quality shifter, but the NISMO one looks real cool too, just need to find source other than dealer. The dealer wanted over $300 for NISMO shifter. Anyone running with a NISMO short shifter?

Thanks for the replies.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Thats A C's Knock Off.... And Its Not The Real Nismo One.

The Nismo Shifter Is A Hardend Shifter With Solid Bushings (rather Than Rubber). The True Nismo Shifters Come In The Black Box With Nismo In Big Letters Like The One On The Phase2 Site.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

ITS JUST LIKE THE EBAY "NISMO" PRODUCTS.... THEY SAY NISMO BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN ITS A NISMO PRODUCT.

UNLESS THAT SHIFTER IS A JAPAN ONLY PRODUCT I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT SHIFTER BEFORE. AND THAT PICTURE MINUS THE NISMO LOGO IS EXACTLY LIKE A C'S STYLE SHIFTER.

YET ANOTHER C'S KNOCK OFF:

phase2motorsports_1852_4573307

"NISMO":

yhst-5006790027353_1851_163183

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

B&M is the best bang for the buck.... but the mookeeh knock off is just as good! I've owned both and couldn't tell the difference besides the color (B&M is blue/silver, Mookeeh is Black/Silver).