HybridZ

BW T5 transmission leaking

Kazuya1274

My T5 tranny was leaking from the front seal I believe when I first put it in. I changed out both front and rear seals on it recently, and now I find that it is leaking again. I know I put the seal in correctly, so either there is another spot where it is leaking that I can't see, or the Dexron III fluid I'm using is too thin?? According to 5speeds.com it came out of a 1985 V8 camaro/firebird. I searched hi and low to make sure that this transmission required Dexron III ATF fluid. I even went to the GM dealer and looked at their recommended fluids sheet. Nevertheless, the website could be wrong, as their sheet said that a 1987 required gear oil. I do have the mechanical speedometer, and I think 1987 was the last year for that.

I really couldn't decipher what was the proper fluid from searching on hybridz, so I went with what the factory recommended. Could this be possibly wrong? Should I try some gear oil in it? The transmission seems to work fine with the ATF, the only problem is you have to shove it into 5th before you go into reverse or else it will grind. I guess this is normal, and I have never seen in my life a V8 camaro with a 5 speed so I have nothing to base its operation on.

Before you put gear oil in there make sure it isn't a World Class T5. If it is and you use gear oil it will ruin the paper cone synchronizers and you'll end up rebuilding it. There should be a tin strip attached to one of the case bolts with a 2 part number on it that you can use at http://www.5speeds.com/t5/index.html for identification.

Just because it came from an 85 Camaro doesn't mean it really came from that car, I bought one off eBay that was advertised as coming from an 83 Firebird which turned out to actually be from an 89 TransAm. A PO had swapped the electric speedo hookup for a manual one so I lucked out and could use the stock mechanical Datsun speedometer.

Long story short is that I think 88 and newer Camaro/Firebird T5s are World Class and anything earlier is non-WC. If it's non-WC then put gear oil in it, if it's not then use Dexron III but be sure to identify it correctly first.

Wheelman

Guest Phil1934

I got a Ford 3spd w/ OD PU that needed the trans rebuilt as the seal had worn a groove in the yoke and leaked out the ATF. So to be safe I put in gear oil. The only time I noticed was first couple of shifts when temps were below freezing.

Phyxius, I did not notice any scoring on the input shaft. In fact, the old seal looked intact, wasn't torn up, and didn't look like it should be leaking.

Wheelman, I previously confirmed that this is an 85 transmission from the 5speeds.com website. The number stamped on the transmission is 1352-072. According to 5speeds.com this is from an 85 camaro/firebird. However, I was thinking this website could be wrong (doubtful on that though).

I think I might try going to a parts store and comparing the front seals from a non world class and world class and see if there is a difference there, since the WC tranny would obviously have to seal better. And I'll try the gear oil and see if that cures the leak.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Kazuya1274,

Based on that tag # I'd say you have a GM non-world class tranny and should use gear oil in it not Dexron III. I'm not sure there is another method to externally identify one of these so it's a bit of a risk to just put gear oil it but according to the 5speeds.com site GM didn't put world class trannys in their cars until 1988 and retained the weaker non-WC in S10s and Astro-Vans for even longer.

Wheelman

Guest camaro81camaro

Kazuya1274.. not to highjack your thread or anything but i noticed your combo

"355 SBC, Demon 725 carb, Procomp aluminum heads, 1.6 ratio rockers, 1 5/8" headers, T5 transmission w/ Ford master cyl. 17" ATS wheels"

are the procomp heads the 190CC runner 64c chamber 2.02/1.60 valve non-CNC ones?

does a standard intake work on them or was a special one needed?? how do they look?? most importantly any problems and are you happy with them?

email me.. 99cobra@gmail.com

thanks

BTW NON-W/C uses normal lube W/C uses ATF becasue of the tighter tollerances