HybridZ

Umm.. MegaSquirt tells me 11.2v while running, my voltage guage says +16v!!HELP

Ok guys.. this is soo weird..

The past few days I have been noticing that my radio randomly shuts off and completly resets all of my settings. Normally it only resets all the settings if I unplug the negative battery cable and plug it back in...

I recently installed a new battery according to the specifications, about a week ago.

My Voltage guage is reading + 16v ! while my PDA connected to MegaSquirt displays 11.2v while running!!!

Now I am assuming the voltage guage reads the voltage coming directly out of the alternator in my 1978 280Z.. so i'm not sure if it then hits a voltage regulator... So is the alternator overcharging then loosing alot of juice somewhere along the circuit?!

Then last night when I jumped in my car my Voltage guage read BELOW ZERO, like there was no battery in it, but it started fine! I drove for about a block and my dash lights went completly out and my radio shut off, and then turned back on after like 5 minutes.

HELP ME.. can anyone help diagnose my problem?!

Hmmmm.....

First, you have conflicting voltage readings from your regulator to the megasquirt. Which one is correct? I guess the only way to know is to use another voltage meter.

According to: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/1d/80/0900823d801d1d80.jsp

The schematics show the voltmeter hooked directly up to the alternator.

The voltage regulators look the same on the autozone schematics for the later turbo motor as they do the 78 so I assume the hookups are identical.

My first guess, assuming all your connections are solid, would be the voltage regulator which is built into the alternator, but I would measure the voltage straight across the alternator before you changed it out.

Ok.... good news guys!!

I did a voltometer test for voltage coming out of the battery and I got 13.2v and from the alternator I got 13.5v!!

So.. obviously there was something wrong...

guess what it was...

the damn Fusible Links!

one of the wires was melted and the connectors were covered in corrosion!

Anyway.. soo that's it! problem solved! Fusible Links! I hate em.. time to get BLUE's maxifuse setup!

i just installed megasquirt in my car and the only original z wiring i used was to tap into the 5 pin connector the goes to the original ecm for key on signal.car is a 77.i have a odessey gel cel in the back and it is wired to the megasquirt relay box directly with a ground included.