HybridZ

2.5" dp or 3" dp. Is 3" worth the extra complexity

Thumper

This is the 3" downpipe I built for my T5'ed 280Z.

twg1.JPG

My Stage 5 T3 turbine housing has about 2.8" outlet.

I took a pie - shaped piece out of the tubing at the turbo flange and carefully shaped/bent it back together and welded to make the taper down to the turbo's outlet diameter. The flange was ported for a good match.

The pipe sort of makes an S-turn down through the available space with 3 pieces of mandrel u-bends - 2 of them "about" 45* and the remaining one (the piece in the middle visible in the picture) just a very slight bend to give the necessary smooth S shape to rout the pipe outward around the T5.

Dunno how "good" this pipe is, but it did get the connection between turbo and exhaust made with minimum bends and smooth transitions.

Is a 3" worth it? Probably not on a stock L28et, but if you're building a downpipe out of mandrel bends, it's really not that much more trouble to do than a 2.5" one - just one more bend, making the transition to 3", and very careful measuring/jigging.

Guest Pete Z Racing

Matt, ALL good advice!

The experience that is on this HYBRD Z is amazing. I would not plan on moving forward with either 2.5" or 3."Till your turbo is purchased as you know there are too many variables at this point. Different flanges, different housing, different outlet locations, spacer used, and some like the GT35-R have only a 3" outlet. Don't waste your time cutting the old flange when new ones are easy to find and cheap, better welding surfaces. Turbonetics has a good selection of flanges and spacer and Tial has all the Garrett goodies.

Z car guys are better fabricators than most I'm sure what ever you choose it will be faster than most Mustangs!

<http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2116389>

2116389_2.jpg

2116389_3.jpg

Have a great weekend.

Pete

P.S. If you want I sell a 1/2" stainless outlet flange for the stock turbo.

$40.00

Guest 73Turbo240z
Matt' date=' ALL good advice! [/color']

The experience that is on this HYBRD Z is amazing. I would not plan on moving forward with either 2.5" or 3."Till your turbo is purchased as you know there are too many variables at this point. Different flanges, different housing, different outlet locations, spacer used, and some like the GT35-R have only a 3" outlet. Don't waste your time cutting the old flange when new ones are easy to find and cheap, better welding surfaces. Turbonetics has a good selection of flanges and spacer and Tial has all the Garrett goodies.

Z car guys are better fabricators than most I'm sure what ever you choose it will be faster than most Mustangs!

<http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2116389>

2116389_2.jpg

2116389_3.jpg

Have a great weekend.

Pete

P.S. If you want I sell a 1/2" stainless outlet flange for the stock turbo.

$40.00

what kind of exhaust manifold is that?