HybridZ

Rubber in the gas tank???

trwebb26

Hey everybody!

I recently purchased a 280z that has been in storage for quite some time. I was in the process of tuning up the engine to try and turn it over. I pulled the drain plug on the gas tank to make sure that no rust fell out and something else fell out - it looks and feels like pieces of rubber! My guess is that the vent lines and/or the return line are flaking on the inside. All the rubber hoses are shot (on the outside), so I want to replace them anyways. Anybody ever seen or heard of this before? Can somebody help me get a shopping list together to replace ALL of the fuel lines? Should I consider replacing the lines with stainless and/or putting in a bigger fuel pump. I've also noticed that the Z doesn't have a filter before the fuel pump... should there be one?

Thanks!

Tim

First off, Welcome!! Maybe someone replaced a fuel line with a non fuel rated line? The fuel will eat the rubber on those. Check your vent lines, if someone changed them I bet they are none fuel lines. Replacement vent lines are hard to find.