HybridZ

Transmission Diagnostics?

DCZ

My 71 240 stranded me Saturday. I think the transmission is lunched. I can put it in any gear and the clutch feels fine, but driving at 5 - 10 mph produces random "ting" noises and the whole car vibrates so much that it is undriveable. I put it up on jack stands and get no play at the U-joints, tranny mount, diff mount, wheel bearings, front suspension. I put it in gear with the wheels in the air and everythings looks ok but the whole rear suspension seems to vibrate slightly (all bushings are new and bolts are tight). I didn't rev the engine much because running it on jackstands makes me nervous, but if I shifted between first and reverse, using the momentum of the spinning wheels to load the drivetrain, and dropped the clutch, I got some clunking (but no visible movement). I couldn't tell exactly where the clunk came from. So I'm thinking it's the transmission by process of elimination. I guess it could be the rear end, but the rear end was bought NEW and has <15k on it while the transmission came straight from the junkyard.

Does this sound like a bad transmission bearing? Any other diagnostics I can do before pulling the trans out? I am planning on draining the trans oil and looking for metal.

71 240z, '82 L28, 2+2 clutch, 280z 5-speed, 3.9 R200 rear