HybridZ

San Diego Z'er's please read

Guest 240zgtr

Guest 240zgtr

So I'm about to purchase (most likely purchase) a brown 1971 240z with an 88ish EFI 5.0 engine already installed. I've got a few friends who know the guy who owns it currently and the cars in great condition. They're saying though that the current owner bought it from a guy who does engine swaps in Z's and sells them for side business. Does anyone happen to know who this person might be or even be this guy. I've heard the current owner has had the car for about 7-8 years or so. Just wondering how well the swap may have been executed since it sounds like this may be one of the first 5.0 swaps done.

Personally, I'd be worried about any build on a Z that was done for profit. Typically, these are not exactly what one would call a profitable project. I definitely wouldn't expect any frills or extra shiny things on it :)

Unfortunately, I've never heard of anyone in the area that builds Z's. Best of luck though,

Mike

Guest 240zgtr

Yeah thats what I figured too. I'll be inspecting the chassis very thuroughly along with the install. I'm supposed to check it out this Saturday in Chula Vista. I'll be taking tons of pictures, I'll try posting some afterwards. I'm determined not to get burned on this one like I did my last Z.

Guest 305240

Make sure you take it for a drive and check for any vibrations. Especially in the driveshaft area. I leveled my car before I installed my 5.0. I also piled a bunch of weight on the front seats. I wanted the car to set as it would with me in it. Then I installed the engine and C4 tranny using a smaller level on top of the carb. I didn't set my engine as far back as some do. I could still get to the oil drain fairly easy. I didn't have to do anything but drill a hole in the trans mount. Using a laser pointer off the output shaft, as well as the pinion, I come within 3/8" of each other. It was almost a straight shot. I had a good driveshaft man build the driveshaft for me. No vibration. Doing some careful calculating, measuring, and leaveling, you will save yourself a bunch of headaches as well as bux. Good luck on your buy.