HybridZ

Question on motor mounts and tranny mounts

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am going to embark on the v8 transformation into my 240 but I was curious do you have to buy the kit? Do any cars or trucks have the motor mounts I will need? Also if you have to buy them who has good mounts for a guy on a budget?Also on the tranny, I would like a five speed, what car should I get this from?

Thank you for all

your help

Tony

Welcome to the HybridZ forum!!

Tony, first you do not have to purchase a kit per se, but you should at the very least purchase a Z V8 swap manual by Jaguars That Run (JTR). Read the book several times to get acquainted with all aspects of the swap and make an informed decision. Installing a Chevy 350 with Camaro T5 is a good swap and is the same build-up that I'm doing.

Get the manual first, though, and look here:

Guest Anonymous

yes definitly get the book. the mounts you can make for alot cheaper than buying from the book. i made mine and they were real easy. rubber mounts you will have to buy but are cheap also. the camaro 5 speed sounds like a really good choice for 5 speeds and they are really available in the yards at a good price. by the way welcome and if you have a question there is plenty of experienced people here to help and yes they are willing to help. later, chris

Okay, I have a question too :-) Does Energy Suspension or anyone else make a nice urethane mount that we can use? so far all I've found have been the newer style Chevy mounts and th eguy at Jegs was no help. Telling him I wanted a mount for a 72 Chevy pickup didn't help I'm afraid. Having not bought a Chevy mount yet I don't even know exactly what it ought to look like...

TIA!

Guest Anonymous

Yes, Energy Suspensions does have the clam shell type urethane insert for the motor mounts. I have a full catalog and they offer it along with the Chevy transmission mount that is rectangular.

The cool thing about their mounts is that they include an "interlock" system that will help hold things IF the rubber lets go.

They offer it in red and black, I think. I can get jobber pricing (but don't know what it is) if folks want a group purchase. Just an offer. It would be just as easy to order from Jeg's or Summit.

Craig

Guest Anonymous

I just went and dug out the catalog

The 4 bolt clam shell insert is part#3-1116

It replaces GM part# 14039437, 9762326, 467422, 1001132, 10001133, 9764714, 459021

The 3 bolt clam shell insert is part#3-1121

It replaces GM part# 15731260, 15529451, 15529452, 15592505, 22145334

Tranny mount is part# 3-1108

Try www.suspension.com as well. Great prices and they stock most domestic stuff.

Craig

[This message has been edited by idealz (edited January 22, 2001).]

Yeah, a red urethane mount would look cool! I took JTR's advice and purchased the stock units, but even with a dealer to dealer "discount" those biscuits were expensive. I think if I did it all over again, I would buy the urethane mount--a little bit-o-custom look never hurt anything. And as far as the possibility of increased vibration to the cabin, who cares! My cam will shake the car anyway... wink.gif

David

Sweet, thank you! I'm so ignorant I didn't realize that the "clam shell" type was what I wanted. Now, WHY couldn't the Summit rep tell me that? Hrm, or was it Jeg's? Still - shouldn't they have known? Will look at my JTR book for the GM# and order up a set! I'm not concerned about vibration...

Guest Anonymous

BLKMGK,

Agh! You are right! I was referencing the mounts for the JTR V8 swap into a Chevy S10! I had looked into that as well smile.gif

I also have the part numbers for the regular V8 mounts and will post them when I get back home on Thursday. Sorry. I think my 2 year old daughter was pulling on my arm when I was typing in that info, too! Energy Suspension also has the other mounts.

Craig

Thanks Craig - I appreciate any info you can provide. I looked at their WEB site and while they mention GM part numbers for "clamshell" types I don't see replacement numbers for the type we're interested in. Having not yet purchased the GM part I'm not sure which of the other types would work. If someone can match them up for us I'll be ordering a set smile.gif

http://www.energysuspension.com/prod1.html