HybridZ

280zx header

GLENN280ZX

No, THEY, NISSAN MOTORSPORTS, make 2 race headers for the 280ZX, 1 5/8" or 1 3/4". I have 1 3/4" chrome.The headers are not yr. specific. Even the top tech. guy at Nissan mtrsprt. could not ansewer the ?, the statement I got was "Don't use with power str." So I visited the Z-BARN today and got a man. rack and x-mem. Let's see if that works.

Guest DoTheDrew888

The headers may not be year specific but the power steering / R&P options are year specific. Its just easier to list the year models that came with one or the other than explain the difference. Sorry man...

Yea, my car 1980, came with sterring box, then I swapped for 1983 power rack. The first header I had I made, it was for the BOX and at that time noone had a header for the BOX.So while doing the 4th. recarnation I swap to the rack 'cause of the multitude of avaible headers.But after checking everyone out their tubes are 1.5", and I can't get a sraight ansewer from pace or msa on their's as far as tube size, and I need square ports now.I touhgt that the year diffs., would have been for the emission fittings, so I'm sorry if it sounded like I blasted you, I asked for help and you were just adding info.THANKS.

Guest DoTheDrew888

Its okay man, I should have read your first post more clearly. I used to have a header from VB and im pretty sure the tubes were 1.25" into a 2.5" collector. Im not positive about the tube size though.

NS does have another header, but it has only 1.5" tubes also.I have tomuch engine for that.I have 1.75" sthal, but this header fits 240-280Z's only. I've tried every trick to get these two headers to work- 'sept cutting the problem tube and rewelding.I'll be in Knoxville till sunday, so I can't even check the non-power set-up.I still have the BOX, in storage,but I wonder if the tube will hit the drag link, at lest the rack input would be out of the picture, which is where the problem exsist's.I should have hung on to my home-made header.Do you have a box or rack on your car?

Well the $400.00 header from NISSAN MOTORSPORTS #1142 does not fit the 79-83 280ZX. It fit 's the frame, but there is no way to get the power rack, the power box, or the man. rack on their respective cross members, it JUST DOESN'T WORK! So much for nissan's top tech guy. So without me building another header who offer's a good quality off the shelf header. MSA, PACE, and VB are all 1.5" and I belive they are all the same manfacturer, that's too small anyway. Who has the 1.75 or 1.65?? Come on fellas.....

Glen,

Where is the header hitting the rack? I have the power box in mine and planned to swap in the power rack when I change the head and exhaust. The header I am using (plan to use) is an MSA and I'm adding the port for the O2 Sensor.

I haven't gotten close to fit testing, too much time on the road. Also haven't installed your springs yet.

When you look at the NS picture you will see the #4 tube drops sraight down, that tube will not allow the power rack to work 'cause it hits the input shaft.I tried to install the header with the power and non-power racks installed, it will not install. You can get bolted to the head and it will clear all 3 x-members(power,non-power racks and box) but the racks will not install afterwards. The box will install but the pitman arm about half way thru the turn to the left it hits THE TUBE. Looked at the tubes for 5 days and it does not look as if you changed the problem tube it still wouldn't be enough 'cause the steering link for the 'racks' would hit 3 of the other tubes, but it could work with the box. I taled to the tech guy a 2nd time after all this and he still say that it will work....NOT. This header appears to be designed for the early cars with front steer, or having the racks mounted in the front of the x-members.I called Sthal, and the tech guy there said there 280zx header will work with nonpower box only.Then I called Pacesetter, and they said their haeder will work with all 4 steering set-ups, but no square ports for the 79-83. So they are going to send me pics. of the early car and late car headers side by side, if the tubes are the same, I'm gonna get the header for the early car 'cause of the 'square' ports (I have a p90head). And pacesetter says that the headers have 1 5/8" tubes and 2.5 collectors, should work pretty good.I also called hussler and a couple other custom header places and they wanted $1200-1500 to build a header!!!!! but to answer your ? it will not work, If it would make you feel better you can call Courtsey Nissan and ask for Matt, He worked with me for about 3 weeks to get this header to work and he can tell ya what I just did here, 'cause I told him all this and sent back 2 headers the 1.75 and 1.65 both do not work in the 280zx.Keep p with me here and I will let you know which way I go, seems like the pacesetter will be it.I know that all this seems to be a lot of babble but I did try fir the better of all of Z-kind!!!